Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Question on grade levels

Thank you for your help. My oldest son will be going into 5th grade and my youngest into the 4th. My oldest is behind in math and my youngest is more advanced so right now they are the same level of math skills. Do you think it is okay to to keep them both in 4th grade math? I know the reason we home school is so kids can go at their own pace. Also with the other subjects, spelling, language arts, science, social studies ect they are at the same level. Do you think it is okay to keep them both in the 4th grade level or should I place my oldest in the 5th grade program? I did find it easier when we started to keep them in the same subjects as they learned better together. I just don't want my oldest to get to far behind his peers in regular school. Sorry if I am rambling lol. I am just trying to get things ready for this fall and feel a bit overwhelmed. Thank you for any advice. God Bless, Beth

Blog Entries

I think you will do what is best for your children. If they are learning well together at the same level then i don't see a problem/ If your older child gets bored with it, you can always move him ahead. What I have found with school is that you are basically studying the same material year after year. You are just approaching it from a different angle as you get older. SO your son would not really be falling behind his peers. He may be on a different level of understanding it than his peers. But in homeschooling the children often exceed their public schooled peers very quickly anyway. My son is basically in fourth grade. But he is still doing second grade language arts extensions. We have to finish third grade science and social studies yet. He is firmly in fourth grade math and language arts. You can move your children up or down, whatever meets their needs.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thank you, I just needed some reassurance. Beth

Blog Entries

We all need reassurance every now and then. The great thing about homeschool support groups is that we can always get it. Don't stress too much about it. You guys will be just fine.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota