Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Question Question on how long a grade takes to complete.

If my son were to this 4-6 hours a day, how long would it take to complete? THANKS!

Blog Entries

There really is no way to determine how long it would take any individual child to complete a grade level. We usually start in September and complete the school year in March or April. But there is usually one or two subjects that we don't finish in that time frame. This year we had a family crisis and then we bought a house and moved so we have not yet finish 3rd grade science or social studies. I expect that we will catch them up and finish the fourth grade work by next June.

Four to six hours a day seems like a lot of work for a child to me. You have to remember that in public school they spend a great deal of time waiting in line to go to recess, to go to lunch, to use the restroom, to go to the library. Then after each of these disruptions it takes time for the class to settle back in and get back to work. So even though they are in school for six hours per day, they are not working six hours per day. I have read some studies that say kids actually only spend 30 minutes per day on actual school work. The rest of the day is spent waiting or settling in. My son is starting fourth grade. He usually spends 1.5 to 2 hours at the most each day. And we go on a lot of field trips so we don't even do Time4Learning every day.

I wouldn't push your son much more than a couple of hours. Even if he is able to do the work, how much of it will he absorb if he is going over it so quickly.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

If your child already knows the material and you are just using it for review, then you could take the end of section test and keep moving. For example, if you child is in first grade, but the first grade math is very easy for him and you don't feel he is being challenged, then take the test and keep moving.

Other than a senario where the child is entering T4L and you are realizing the work is too easy, I agree with Kathi and would be concerned about retention if you move too fast.

OTOH, if you want to use T4L to play catch-up, then I have some thoughts on that as well. If they are below level math and reading, go ahead and do grade level science and social studies. Just plan to read everythng with them and be sure to have them take notes (or take notes for them or create fill-in-the-blank note-taking guides). With math move as fast as the child is able, but no faster. Meet them where they are even if that means placing them several grade levels below what their DOB would indicate. If the child is only one or two levels below, then you could consider doing all of a section and then doing the same section in the next grade. For example, do all the 3rd grade addition and then all the 4th grade addition. This intensive practice of a single subject may aid retention and move him along a little faster. With LA I would do all the Vocabulary Skills for grade 4 and then for grade 5 and then for grade 6. I would do this again for the Process Skills and the Comprehension sections and then move forward with grade 6 alone after that. LAx is a little tougher, because it is all over the place. I would consider using an outside spelling supplement (something like Spelling Plus or Sequential Spellling that are not baby-ish and will allow him to move faster) and skip the spelling sections. I probably would cover the level 4 parts of speech and move on to an outside grammar- Winston Grammar. Then, I would cover what is left in each T4L level.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Mandy, where were you four years ago when I was starting this process. Your advice is always amazing. My son does do more than one level. He is in 2nd grade Language Arts Extension, 3rd grade science and social studies, and 4th grade math and Language Arts. We work at his speed.

Thanks, Kathi. That's so sweet. I actually came back to apologize for all the typos in my post. I won't even try to edit it. I needed to be elswhere, so it was rushed.

To the OP- If you will let us know what the issues are, you will probably get more and better advice.

Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

We all make typos Mandy. I always say I don't know how I lived before spellchecker. My dad, on the other hand, was a championship speller. guess I didn't get that from him.