Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default questions on homeschooling

Hello everyone.. I am Jessica. I have 2 little boys adam who just turned 5 and noah who is about to turn 4 in a week.. and see i am looking at home schooling are boys. but not sure how to or what to do or anthing.. how much does it all cost and stuff.. i dont know where to start really all the sites i have been to dont really help any does not say how much thay charge to enroll or anything.. i need all the help i can get.. i have to have both my boys enrolled into school b next august. HELP ME PLZ

Godsgiftmykids (Nita)

Online schools do post their prices. (They are not cheap) I have checked almost every elementary online schools (and found one i like, enrolled my daughter but turned around and used T4L instead.) And if you cant see their prices you could call and ask? (Thats what i do i call them and ask for free access to see what their lessons looks like + if any hidden cost).

Jessica.....I would google "homeschool co-ops" for your city/state and connect with one of them....these will be real-live people who can share their experiences and help you get started.

There is a good, free site called Letter of the Week: Letter of the Week Preschool Curriculum

It's very scripted and tells you just what to do, what materials you will need and how to do each activity including a weekly 'poster' that can be assembled into a book or hung on the wall. I think this is a really good beginning program. Another FREE program for learning the letters/sounds of the alphabet is: Learn to Read with phonics

And of course T4L has a great interactive program starting with preschool and going on from there.

It's easy to spend a LOT of money on a LOT of stuff that you might never use, so try to go slowly. Young children need to be read to at least twice a day. May the local library a weekly field trip. Connect with the children's librarian for book suggestions and any kids programs they have. It's summer! Do lots of outside "stuff" like swimming lessons, art or science camp, grow a garden, build a tree house or make a fort out of appliance boxes. Cook stuff together like, juice pops, jellow, sandwiches, potato salad, and other fun, easy summer food. Ease into the "school" experience by just doing a couple of things each day and you might not want to call it "school."

You can buy those big, fat "curriculum" books to get either a workbook with a couple of pages for each thing they think your kid should know....or the ones that are designed for teachers that give you lessons and tell you what to do, but you have to gather your own materials. These are about $30 and are a cheap way to get an overview. You can request a list of competencies your child is expected to master at each grade level and use it for reference.

We've all been where you are and this is a great forum for finding both information and support. Take a deep breath, and tell yourself you CAN do this.......because you CAN!! Cheers! deni.......
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11675210@N05/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313