Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Saxon Math and Time4learning

We used 5/4 Saxon math last year (4th grade) and my son didn't enjoy it but did OK. He is loving Time4learning and doing well. I really like how much review Saxon does...Do you'll feel Time4learning lessons give reforcement on the lessons previously learned as the year progresses. Time4learning site refers to parents using both together. Just wondered if anyone was doing that or felt it was necessary? Thanks

Blog Entries

We have not used any other program except time4learning. My son does very well in math except for multiplication. He has a serious block towards it. I did buy a Kumon workbook to help with this one area. The cool thing about time4learning is that you can go back over the lessons as many times as you want. If you feel that your child needs more review in a certain area, you can do that lesson over. Also after a break you can review some of the previous lessons before moving on to the new areas.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Bentonsmom View Post
    We used 5/4 Saxon math last year (4th grade)... Time4learning site refers to parents using both together. Just wondered if anyone was doing that or felt it was necessary?
    Very late addition, but will add my thoughts just in case the OP is still looking.

I am of the mind that a child can't do too much math. If you can fit two math programs into your day, then I say go for it! Saxon is so spiral and T4L is so basal that they could complement each other well. My extra student is using T4L, Saxon, and Key to Fractions. My youngest son is using T4L, Foerster's, and Kumon. He will also be starting Jacob's Mathematics: A Human Endeavor with a tutor in mid-Sept.

I hear many hs families talk about using multiple resources for other subjects. I can't see why math should be any different. I don't know that it is necessary, but I do think it is beneficial- especially if you use programs that are different from each other. (like a spiral program with a basal program or a mastery program with exploration program) The mix of different approaches can lead to much greater proficiency and understanding.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

I have never used Saxon or any other math program really. For us Time4Learning has offered all my son needed except the extra help on multiplication. Let us know how it works combining the two programs if that is what you decide to do.

Junior Member Newbie

Default T4L Vs Saxon 45

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I have never used Saxon or any other math program really. For us Time4Learning has offered all my son needed except the extra help on multiplication. Let us know how it works combining the two programs if that is what you decide to do.
    Just curious as it has been a few years, do you still use T4L exclusively for math and how does your son do on standardized tests in math? Trying to decide if I should add Saxon to T4L.

Blog Entries

We still use t4l as our primary curriculum. My son does well in math. It is his favorite subject. We do not have to take any standardized tests so I don't know how he would place on them.