Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Thread: Schedule

Junior Member Newbie

Default Schedule

I feel pretty sure as I was scanning through the threads in the past week, I saw a schedule for the year submitted by Kelly. Is that right? I can't seem to locate it now. I'm wondering at what pace we should move to accomplish everything in a year. ?

Also, are most curricula out there pretty "across the board" when it comes to what is offered for a specific year - for example 5th grade history: Westward expansion?

This will be our first year at homeschooling. We've been experimenting with several things this summer and my kids are really enjoying Time4learning. Ds 11 - Dyslexia, ADHD, LOTS of trouble reading. Dd 12. At times I feel confident we will sail right along and do better than ever possible in the public school system, and at other times, I feel quite anxious, wondering if we will be able to manage.

Thank you for all of your previous posts. I've been learning a lot by reading!

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At what pace should you move to accomplish everything in a year? Move at the pace at which your student does best . . . especially when there are learning challenges such as Dyslexia, ADHD, and reading difficulty.

I'm always cautioning parents to focus on their child actually learning the material presented, and not just getting the lessons "checked off". If that means some lessons must be repeated, so be it. It's better to only cover part of the material during the year and have it really learned than to get everything checked off, but only to be forgotten in a couple of weeks.

To help with planning, I access the lesson plans and see how many lesson activities there are in a given subject. I divide that number of activities by the number of days in our school year to see how many lesson activities would need to be mastered per day to complete that subject's material during the school year. I have my kids do the activity's associated quiz or test immediately upon finishing an activity, so I don't figure in extra days for tests.

My "schedule" looks something like: "Do one math, two language arts, one language arts extension, two science, and one social studies activity per day."

There is not a lot of consistency among curriculum as to what is offered each year, especially in the areas of science and social studies. New homeschoolers are often looking for a curriculum similar to the one their child would be using in public school, usually because they intend to measure the success of their homeschool by showing that their child "knows the same stuff" as their public schooled peers of the same age. It helps to keep in mind that the reason you chose to homeschool is probably because the public school methods weren't working for your child.

Despite efforts to standardize, there is still a lot of variety among public school curriculum, too. This is true from school to school, and even between classrooms in the same school. It is especially true once a student reaches middle and high school level, where one student may elect to take world history to fulfill their social studies requirement and another might choose geography.

I'm glad your first homeschool year was successful! You are doing the best you can for your son. When you feel your confidence lagging, come here for a morale boost!

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

I'm so proud of you for choosing to take an active and responsible role in your child's education! Think really hard about that... You have made the CHOICE to do what is best for your children, and made the SACRIFICE of your time and talents, to homeschool them. You should never allow yourself to suffer anxiety, if you are doing what you can to make your children into the best people they can be! Honestly, I'm personally ashamed of how little anxiety I felt, when my children's education was entirely out of my hands in the public school system.

Here's one I can say, but I'm having a hard time living, because I also pulled my kids from public school, like you have... Let go of the "scope and sequence" of your local schools. T4L, if you start early, will provide a balanced and extensive primary education, but you'd need to supplement science and Social Studies in upper grades. If you are pulling from a higher grade (as I assume you are, since the kids are 11 and 12), then you can start them in a lower "grade" for Science and SS (T4L lessons don't change reading level after 5th grade, it's entirely a content difference) and finish out through 8th grade very successfully using T4L. The multi-sensory nature of T4L lessons are great for kids with learning issues (we pulled my younger child from public school to remediate dyslexia), and works great for advanced learners (like my older child) as well.

Don't let what your local public schools are doing stress you out. Do I think I'm going to do it exactly like the local public schools? No, but that's actually okay... My children will know HOW to learn, and will have enough grammar, math and science to function in college and "real life". Everything else, is entirely what we think would be fun to learn!

How long did it take to get here? We are about to start our second year out of public school... Just like you! My kids have both said they NEVER want to go back, that being able to control their own education is a valuable thing in their lives. I'm so grateful that I'm able to do this for them - and I'm sincerely proud of you for doing it for your kids, too!

JC