Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Scheduling with multiple Children

Can some of you please share what your schedule looks like this year? I want to try and be more hands on with them so it's beginning to stress me about a bit how I am going to go about it. I have a DD 12, DS 6, and DS 4.....HELP!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi, Adria. Here's the kind of schedule I use: Scheduling Time4Learning with Multiple Children

The actual items on the schedule are just samples, but you can get an idea of how I am able to "see" an overview of what we're doing. I don't dare post our real schedule. It would make your head spin!

Homeschooling 6 Kids for 15 Years and Counting

Thanks Kel! I have something like yours made up now (except we arent scheduling showers!! But it might be a good idea so that we remember to bath the little kids! lol) Right now I have a chart with the days of the week and how many of each lesson needs to be done and what days things need to be done (since we rotate Science and History). My issue is Wednesdays we belong to a homeschool bowling league so those days need to have a lighter load. I also have a chart with times to do things so that we may try to stay on schedule through the day. But I dont know how I am going to work being able to sit with the kids as much as I will need to in the beginning. SO I have just blocked off the hours and hopefully we will get into the swing of things in a month or so. *Then I will write down what my oldest has to complete for the day in a notebook for her to check off.....maybe that won't be needed...but for some reason last year it was. I think I did that so if she needs to re-do a lesson, or practice something, she had it all written down. I think if I just use the chart with how many to do each day she will do whatever needed just to put in the check mark and probably skip quizzes too! OK I am rambling now................maybe someone else can show me what they do too and I can work these kinks out!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I schedule half an hour of Tutor Time per child. They save anything they're stumped on and we do it then. Some kids need to be strongly encouraged to not leave ALL their work for Tutor Time! You can put M&Ms in a jar each morning and "charge" one M&M per help or something like that if you have a child who won't try it on his own first. ;-) Or, reserve the time to do something with your child he enjoys if there's no school work to help with. (Give their work a quick check first.) Mine like having me all to themselves for playing a board game or even playing "cars" on the floor . . . and I tolerate playing cars a lot better when I know I only have to do it for a limited amount if time.

Homeschooling 6 Kids for 15 Years and Counting

ooohhh Tutor Time! Great idea!! That will give me time to sit with them for 1/2 their work then schedule Tutor time at the end of the day for the work they do by themselves. The M&M thing too. For some reason my DD12 is regressing back to needing help with *everything (and I mean *everything!!) Maybe this will help her out a bit trying to be independent. Thanks again!!!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3