Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Science Experiments

Do you all do all the science experiments in the curriculum? We're doing 5th grade and so far we've done every experiment but I was wondering if there's a few we could skip without messing up the learning process.

Blog Entries

I haven't found this in science as yet. But in some of the other courses we have found that it is alright to skip lessons. The other day my son was working on a math lesson. To me it seemed like it was just the same lesson over and over again. So I let him go ahead and take the test. He passed the test just fine so I did not see any reason to go back and do those lessons. We have had the same thing in Language Arts Extensions. When he is asked to read the same story five times he gets bored with it. I have him do the first two lessons. Then I let him take the test. If he does okay, we skip the rest of the lessons. If of course he does not do well, we go back and do all of the lessons again and then retake the test. That's one of the great things about time4learning. You can skip lessons or you can go back and redo lessons as often as you need to. I think as long as your child is understanding the material, it's fine to skip a few lessons or science experiments.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

We do science experiments at our tutorial, so we pretty much skip the science experiments in T4L unless it is something that I can do or demonstrate right there on the spot. It hasn't been a problem.
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Yes, it's much more important that they get the concept than it is doing the experiments.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota