Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default So sad to be leaving :(

My daughter has been using T4L for the last 4-5 months and really liked it at first, but now she's getting bored of it. She's 9 and on level 2 because of a learning delay. She told me she thought she would be homeschooled and I would teach her, not the computer. I really thought this would be the best program for her because it is so much fun and she's so visual. Having things read to her just seem to go in one ear and out the other. So, for the last 2 weeks we have gone back to books and worksheets and she seems to be much happier. Since that's what homeschooling is all about - her, not me - we will be saying goodbye.
    If anyone has any suggestions on incorporating both, I'd love to hear them.
    Christy

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Christy, we'll be sorry to see you leave.

I really, Really, REALLY have appreciated not having a pile of worksheets to grade every evening, since T4L does most of the grading for me. I sit with my kids during many of their lessons and interject my own thoughts along the way. It's a whole lot more efficient than me teaching each concept from scratch. In the afternoon, we do unit studies, and that's our "together" time.

If you are really sad about leaving, maybe something like that would work for you.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

Christy,
    I have to second what Kelly said. I sit with my daughter for almost all of her lessons, quizzes and tests. We talk, interact, joke, and clarify many of the things T4L is teaching. Mine is in 5th grade and should be able to do the lessons alone, but the point is she wants me there. Often we have a moment where she asks me to explain it a different way, or she tells me about how a lesson links in to something she has read or seen on television. These are great opportunities to launch into an additional project or go searching for another way to learn something. I don't know how you use T4L. I am teaching my daughter, because I am present for all of her schooling. T4L is our book, workbook, or notebook and my grade book and lesson planner. It is not different than if I were teaching it out of a text book, or she were reading it out of a text book. Before you give up on it, maybe try changing something small about the way you are doing things. If you are not sitting with her try that. We also do special projects or unit study type things, and there is the real opportunity for your child to be taught by you. Mixing things up a little bit might make all the difference. I hope that this works out for you and your child. Good luck and let us know if we can help in any way.
    Linda
    Homeschooling on the internet, at the desk, on the sofa, in the car,
    and at Web-Home-School!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crickbrie View Post
    My daughter has been using T4L for the last 4-5 months and really liked it at first, but now she's getting bored of it. She's 9 and on level 2 because of a learning delay. She told me she thought she would be homeschooled and I would teach her, not the computer. I really thought this would be the best program for her because it is so much fun and she's so visual. Having things read to her just seem to go in one ear and out the other. So, for the last 2 weeks we have gone back to books and worksheets and she seems to be much happier. Since that's what homeschooling is all about - her, not me - we will be saying goodbye.
    If anyone has any suggestions on incorporating both, I'd love to hear them.
    Christy
    Oh Christy, I will miss you so much. I would LOVE for you to stay and think Kel had great idea's, but I totally understand that you have to do what feels right for your family. Know this, we are always here. I wish you the very best my friend!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I do typically sit with my daughter during all of her lessons and try to integrate T4L with other things we do. For some reason she's just not into it right now. Hopefully in the future she will be since I LOVE it so much. I am thinking of sneeking it in again next week to see what she thinks. Maybe I can convince her we're now just using it as a fun computer game

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whatever you do, don't end up with a situation where she has to personally approve of anything you use for homeschooling. My kids would sooooo take advantage of that.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

Hi Kelly,
    Oh don't worry, that won't happen. If it was up to her she'd play wii or her dsi all day. We're still in the process of finding what REALLY works for her. We have been homeschooling since February and it's been a bit of a struggle just getting her to WANT to learn anything. She is a bit delayed in her learning, which is why we have decided to homeschool and get her out of that constant pressure to fit in. We still stuggle some days with her not wanting to even attempt of try anything, but my patience is growing so much stronger with her. She has really improved in some areas, mostly reading, which was her biggest hurdle. I did sneak some T4L back in this week to see how it would go over and she was having fun. So, maybe we will stay a month longer and see. She is ready to move on to the 3rd level, but so much of it is self reading and she's not to that level of reading yet (she's 9). Yet she thinks level 2 is for little kids, even though she does like some of the skits. So, we'll just keep tweaking things here and there til we get it right. I do know that having T4L as her whole curriculum is not going to work, but if I can get bits and pieces that really help her I'm going to stay. So send suggestions my way

Christy,

Which parts of T4L are too much self reading? I only have access to Level 3 Science since we are in Level 1. Though my DD12 is doing Level 6 stuff that is still very animated except for the Sc and SS. I found those to be too textbook and remembering how much I HATED History at her age we changed to Story of the World for SS and Noeo Science for SC. We use T4L for the MA, LA, & LAX portions. I like Story of the World because it more like a story then just listed facts and they are in smaller portions. My DD has ADD & Epilepsy so she struggles with too much info that she could care less about. kwim? From my experience I left T4L once (for my DS6) because I wanted to be more hands on and I am from the PS school system so I thought we needed to have textbooks, workbooks etc to be learning. And that I needed to be like the teacher in the front of the room......etc etc. Anyhow, after begin gone a bit we came right back. I didn't get very far. lol I like having it all here and supplmenting what we need. If my DD or DS doesnt get something the first time we use the rescources and extra free worksheets I find online until he gets it then we take the quiz. Also mine complains a few months in no matter what we use. lol They get bored, just like us. But I won't let him or my need to find the "perfect" curriculum out there take me away again. I LOVE this place. One other thing we began homeschooling in 11/08 with *just my daughter then added my son for K last year. This is the first time since we began that I really feel we have a handle on this. My husband gave me great advice one day, he said just pick something and stick to it if its working and to stop trying to find the new better thing out there. So we are doing *just that............... just dont tell him I still read the Abeka catalog, the homeschool minute emails, any homeschool blog I can find etc. etc!!! LOL Good luck getting into the flow and finding a groove with the right materials!!! (man I can get long winded! sorry!)
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Hi Adria,
    It is the SS and Sc for level 3 that we are having trouble with. Her reading is soooo much better now then when we first started homeschooling, so I know we are making progress. It's just that there is too much reading in those two subjects for her to really comprehend or be interested in. She is enjoying the math in T4L now so I think we'll stick with it. She also likes me up in front of the class like a teacher for about 1/2 our day. Then I can see her just tune me out, so jumping to T4L for math brings her back because she loves all the animation. I feel it has really helped her, even with her reading.
    I have done the same thing with always trying to find something better. I'll take your husbands advice too . I feel like we're starting to get it down
    Christy

Junior Member Newbie

We are using a combination of T4L and workboxes throughout our ay. I fill the workboxes with worksheets, books, activities for us to do together (lapbooks, unit study type things) and we flip back and forth between the boxes and computers as she works through her day. She is on Level 1 and this has been working really well for us. I like to use the supplemenal worksheets provided by T4L because they hel tie in the computer an workbox work really nicely.
    Julie

My Home School Blog: http://reedacademy2010.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast