Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Spelling-2nd Grader

Hi there! Does anyone have a good way to help a child with spelling? My son is in 2nd grade, but doesn't do very well in spelling. He already decides that he hates it and isn't good at it even before he tries. He can remember the 'rules' to phonics, etc. when he is doing his T4L lessons, and when I remind him during reading, but when it comes to spelling the words, everything he knows just flies out the window...or it seems. But really, he just doesn't want to do it. Any advice or 'fun' ways to helping him?

Thanks!
    Dakotamom

Hi
    1st off I think you should go see a site called Spelling City ,This is a Free site devoted to well uh' SPELLING!!! It has all kinds of stuff to help your child with thier spelling

My daughter is in 3rd grade and here are a few things we have come up with at home.
    Everyday I give my daughter a letter of the alphabet and she thinks up something and spells it,Example~ I have given her the letter A ,Then she would say apple and spell a-p-p-l-e ...

Also sometimes I will talk to her and spell out a word,She must figure out what I spelled if she wants to know what I have told her.

I also like to do word scramble pages .I take words ,Scramble them up and then she will have to figure out the word is and write it.

Hope this helps
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Default Thank you!

Hi ProudtobeGreen,

I wanted to thank you for suggesting the site Spellingcity.com. I had seen this site when my son was going to public school, but he played on it mostly by himself and I will say that I did not appreciate it until now! That is a GREAT site to help my son learn his words. We will have tons of fun with this. I appreciate your post so much!

Sincerely,
    Dakotamom

Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for the suggestion! Great site!

I used spelling city before until I found another site call spellingtime.com it is also part of the Big IQ kids site very great site for help with spelling.