Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Thread: Spelling

Default Spelling

How do I find the spelling lists for 3rd grade and do those assignments?

KK

Blog Entries

A lot of people use the great lists that can be found on Vocabulary and Spelling City.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

spellingcity is the best site when it comes to spelling. u can make ur own list or use someone else's list.
    i just use someone else's list. > example: Lakewood Third Grade Lakewood Elementary School Vocabulary and SpellingCity.com its a lot more easier for my schedule than creating my own.
    but once u printed it, it will show the 'Lakewood Third Grade Elementary' on top of it. so what i do beofre i print the test result is printscreen it and edit using paint or a program to erase the
    creator's name.

we do spelling once a week for assignment.
    Last edited by Skool Time; 10-25-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Blog Entries

That's a great idea.

Junior Member Newbie

Also I have found that I like Evan Moor Spelling Grade (insert grade level here). You can pick them up on torrents online or buy them on amazon.com or even at some barnes and nobles.

Blog Entries

You can access a lot of the material on Spelling City for free. You can pay for a premium membership as well. But to get started and see if you like it, the free membership is great.

For a child who is a natural speller or who can glance through a list of words and remember how to spell them, spelling programs are a waste of time. I didn't use a spelling program at all until spring of 2nd grade. Before that I focused on phonics. In K we used CLE's Learning to Read and 1st grade LA. We used MCP Plaid Phonics C in 1st grade and D in 2nd grade. This year in 3rd we are using Spectrum Phonics and Word Study grade 5. In spring of 2nd grade we began the spelling lists in Spelling Plus, but we finished the book last semester and we are currently not using a spelling program. Adding a spelling program on top of phonics was pretty much just busy work. If I had it to do over with this child, I probably wouldn't bother. However, next year for 4th I am thinking that we may use the free Webster's 1824 Speller from Don Potter's website. I think learning spelling with syllabary may be helpful as we begin looking at patterns in poetry, but another year of phonics may just be busy work. With a natural speller early on I would just focus on phonics.

My oldest ds was dyslexic and didn't begin homeschooling until grade5. By then he already was spelling very well. We used MCP's Spelling Workout for a couple of years, Vocabulary from Classical Roots for a year, and then he did Wheelock's Latin for 2 years in high school. He spells very well, but I give credit for that to the wonderful tutors and teachers who taught him with Orton-Gillingham methods before he began homeschooling.

My middle ds came home in 3rd grade. He could not spell and O-G methods in 1st and 2nd had left him confused and frustrated. I backed way off and used LLATL for 3rd grade. Then we tried Spelling Workout and he still couldn't spell, so next semester we tried Phonetic Zoo and he still couldn't spell. Then, we used AVKO's Sequential Spelling and everything fell into place. However, at that time they did not have CD's or anything. Our Sequential Spelling was loose leaf lists in a binder. Although I totally credit Sequential Spelling with getting him on track, it was pretty teacher intensive. The next year we tried Megawords. I wanted so much to like it, but we could just never find our groove with this program. However, at this point he was spelling pretty well and the next year I decided to give phonics another shot. He used Apples Daily Spelling Drills for Secondary Students Book 1. We both really liked how independent it was and now that he could spell reasonably well (and perhaps because his brain was more mature) phonics made sense! We used book 2 in this series the next year. In high school you would never know how much he struggled with spelling in grade school. With a child who just didn't get phonics and who really struggled with spelling I would use AVKO's Sequential Spelling and once they were spelling well follow up with Apples Daily Spelling Drills.

However, if a child is not a natural speller, has no LDs, and does not struggle excessively (if he or she falls somewhere in the norm), something like T4L on Spelling City or a Spectrum Spelling workbook should work just fine. With my kids, I have just never experienced whatever the norm is supposed to look like!

Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 03-08-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

We tend to not worry very much about spelling at our house. My son is dyslexic so I am more concerned about the other subjects than spelling. He will learn to use spell checker on a regular basis.