Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Starting 4th grade now.

Hello! My name is Lana, my 4th grader has been in K12 virtual school since the beginning of this school year. We were quite frustrated at first, and then we thought we figured it out, but it's just not working out anymore. It's come to the point where the work and pressure is worse now than in public school, and we actually have less support from the "teachers". Learning should be fun and exciting, and this is not. We dread school and the tears and the frustration daily. The Texas mandated testing is to start on March 1st, and that is causing additional stress. So, we hopefully will be starting T4L on 2/28. Yay us!!

My question is, how wise is it to try and start just 3 months before the school year is to be over? Should we stick it out with K12 and just take it slow and if we're behind then oh well? I just don't want to have to wade through a bunch of repeat material. However, I'm not entirely sure how the T4L system determines your "grade". Is there an assessment or guideline that helps you determine. From one school year to the next, how do you determine if your child "graduated" to the next grade? I guess that was several question.

Sorry about my rambling, this is all kinda new to us. While K12 is done at home, it's structured, rigid, and inflexible. So essentially this will be our first time "really" home schooling. We're excited now knowing that we can do it, and that we have tools to keep track and can evaluate where we need to supplement and so forth. Just not sure if this is the best timing.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Junior Member Newbie

Anyone out there?

Junior Member Newbie

We just started with t4l so can't really give a review yet. We did k12 with our 9th grader last year and it didn't work for him - it is more for very motivated gifted children in my opinion - ones who don't might a strict schedule with lots of work and live online teacher classes. [not sure what 4th grade is like with them]

We are trying this out for the last 3 months of school because the books-curriculum we are using just is not working for him.

I would give it a try for the [12 days] trial period and see if your son/daughter meshes well with the program. I like it.

As far as evaluating your son/daughter - when you sign up it gives you the option by having you answer a few basic questions regarding different aspects of their knowledge [reading, writing, math] and then based on that they open a grade under, the grade, and the grade above. [this is what is true for us]

Junior Member Newbie

Hi Lana! It's good to know we're not the only ones struggling with k12 4th grade! My son has had a really hard time this year with it. We are currently still enrolled, for about 2 more weeks. We are actually relocating to Ireland (through my husband's job) for about 2 years. Since we can't finish the year with k12, I'm planning to use t4l. I've looked at the lesson plans and I think I'll just pick and choose the material I want to do. There are a lot of differences in history and science. I'll keep up with k12 spelling and vocab, since I can keep those workbooks. The rest... um, I'm still trying to figure out!