Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Stressed and confused

Hi everyone I am very new to home schooling! I am schooling my DS (6th Gr) and I am completely lost I signed up for time4learning thinking the lesson plan would be layed out there for me and it is not I have no idea how many lessons to give him so I sat him down and said just do the first chapter in each category. He was done with everything in less than 2 hrs and that even included quizes and test. I have no idea how to integrate vocab words or spelling into his day or where to even find those words. I dont know how to organize this and it's stressing my 7 person family out to the max. please someone give me guidence or a link to somewhere that just lays it all out for me. Hope I'm not to overwhelming I just don't know where to turn. Thanks in advance for any help.

P.s. just a little history Homeschooling was not a choice for so I have had no time to research and think it through. My son has touretts and ADHD and Depresion, he was thrown out of school for taking a toy gun to school. Our only options where to send him to a alternitive school or home school and with the choice of home school they agreed not to put the incident on his permanent record. Thanks again for listening

Blog Entries

First go pour yourself a cup of tea or coffee. Relax a bit and then read through some of the forums while you sip your tea. Start by looking at how many activities there are in each subject. Go to the Parent Login. On the right side of the page you will see Lesson Plans. Click on that for sixth grade and then click on each subject. Divide that number by the number of days that you plan to do school during the year. That is how many activities he should do in that subject each day. Two hours is probably about right for a sixth grader. Remember that while he was in school he spent a lot of time waiting. He had to wait for recess, wait for lunch, wait for the slower kids to catch up, wait for assembly, wait and wait and wait. Now he only has to wait for you so he will finish the day a lot faster than he did in school. For spelling you can get lists from Vocabulary and Spelling City. Add spelling in wherever you want in your day. There are some great games on that site for him as well. A good place to look for guidance would be the Welcome To Homeschooling Guide. Join the Kentucky Parent Forum. There you will be able to meet other families in Kentucky. They will also have more knowledge of Kentucky laws than I have. You might also want to join the 6th through 8th grade forum. Feel free to stop back often and ask any questions that you might have.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Hi Lauren, first time homeschooling can be overwhelming, u just dont know where to start or what to do. We all experienced that.
    Just sit tight and relax a bit. We are here to help you. You can have your son do a lesson or two a day from T4L.
    Then add supplement of anything u want. Spellingcity is the best place for spelling/vocabulary.
    You can organize ur day by making a lesson plan. Can be made using a word doc, a calendar, notebook? Its up to you which way u want.
    For me i organize by using a word doc, a lesson or two per subject, i create a lesson plan per week, we follow it day by day, and it works for us. Ive been doing it for the last 3 years now.
    But before u start, make sure u create a letter of intent that u r homeschooling ur child, address it to ur nearest school superintendent.
    When i first started homeschooling i sent mine mid nov. And never had any problem with my school district, never asked why the letter was so late.

Have you read any of this?
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

i have to add, here in our state of ky...homeschooling is very laid back.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all your input ladies. I love the support we give each other on this forum.

Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I know I wasn't the one who asked the question, but thank you for the answer, this really helped me, but just one more question.....is activities same as one star completed?

Blog Entries

Not necessarily. Each time you click on one of the circles it is an activity. I was just looking at one of my son's math pages. When you click on the star it goes to another screen with three circles and then a quiz. Each one of those things is an activity. So within that star there are four activities.

Blog Entries

Hi Lauren,

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can take your time. I know we keep saying for you to relax, but truly that is the best thing you can do right now. If you are stressed, your son will pick up on this.

Here is info about spelling:

Lesson activity numbers for the spelling lessons can be found by logging in as a parent and accessing the lesson plans. Spelling lessons are located within the language arts extensions:

Sixth Grade - Chapter 9

Every third lesson, the student is given a quiz over the words in the preceding three lessons. The results of these quizzes can be found in your student's reports. The results of the tests taken within each spelling lesson are for the student's information only.

Many parents use the free SpellingCity site to supplement their child's spelling study. Vocabulary and handwriting help can also be found there. On SpellingCity, the lists for Time4Learning lessons can be found here. Students can use these lists to play games with their spelling words, practice, test... If you choose to have your student take a weekly spelling test at SpellingCity, the results are printable, either in report or certificate form. If you choose a premium membership, the program will keep track of your student's activity and test scores online.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie