Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default T4L'ers that have moved onto High School, what program you use? HELP!

As a 3+ yr Mom of T4L who LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this program.... it is sad to say.... my boys are in 7th and 8th grade this year and hubby and I are trying to decide WHAT to do.
    Do we continue homeschooling thru high school? If so, what program?
    Do we send oldest to public school? If so, what school?
    Will he handle it ok? We both agree probably not.
    1 school is 13 miles away, so 26 round trip 2x a day at busy times on surface streets in a large city. Means we would have to buy a 2nd vehicle, insurance, plus carseats so I can transport all the daycare kids PLUS my boy or boys to a Waldorf inspired K-12 artsy school. Sounds great but it may or may not work and we have then bought a car we dont need(if it doesnt work), etc.
    Another little school is very close(blocks away) but costs $6K per kid, per year which is essentially all the income I make doing daycare and we do not have that kind of $$ to spare. Love my kids but not willing to make us poor.
    Our public school system is proposing a tax hike on the May ballot of 15% for prop.taxes in what is already the highest county for Prop. tax in our State. So, chances are it will not pass and if that happens, teacher cuts, larger class sizes and electives gone. All the more reasons NOT to send them back to public school.
    So, we are at a crossroads. He does really well with the online schooling of T4L but I have been searching for a high school equivalent and havent found much. He isnt a great book learner(adhd and math block) and I would easily lose him at this.
    So.... if you have kids who did FABO on T4L and have moved onto high school level.... what did you do?
    Any and all input, programs, etc. is welcome!!! I am banging my head against the wall and time is running out to figure out something!!!
    THANKS!!!

I wish I had some advice, but we are in the exact same boat. We pulled our Daughter out of public school last year and she has absolutely thrived using the T4L program. (The best grades, retention she's ever had). But she's in 8th grade and will be "graduating out" very soon. Public School isn't an option, so right now we're exploring HS alternatives.

If T4L added HS all of my problems would be solved!! (HINT HINT HINT)

If I find ANYTHING comprable I'll be more than happy to share.

LOL!!! We T4L'ers have been hinting for them to find a good HS program since I started in 2008!! That is what scares me, if it isnt good enough out there for T4L quality... what is?!
    I know book learning and worksheet isnt going to cut it for my older son. We found American School but its book learning and they only send 2 subjects at a time, so you must do JUST those and complete them before they send you more. YUCK Talk about repetition, who wants to do Math and Science for months straight.
    I want T4L animation and excitement......

My kids are in 3rd and 4th grade and I am hoping and praying that T$L will get a HS program by the time my kids are ready for it. I know that a HS program would be an answer to prayers for many parents here.

Hi,

I think I recognize you from our state group. We are in the same situation. Our daughter is in seventh grade and unless she goes to our local school she'll need to ride a ferry boat to high school, which she's not thrilled about. I know nothing about them but if you go to www.k12.com and click on our state you can find several high school listings for online programs. There is also the Columbia Virtual Academy. I hope this helps...

Oh, and Keystone and Laurel Springs are two online high schools (but are not tuition free- the other ones I mentioned in my previous post are tuition free). I know nothing about these programs but have come across them in my own search, so I thought I'd share them...

I believe this place offers Compass Learning for high school years: Curriculum