Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking about home schooling

My 13 yr old daughter has been going through a tough time. Her dad's mom passed away Aug. 23rd and then six days later her dad passed away. She is having such a tough time and she is not wanting to go to school so we are looking for an alternative. What do I need to do to legally get her into a homeschool program in Salt Lake county. I am actually excited and am looking forward to taking on a new challenge with her. I just don't know where to start. Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

First let me say that I am so sorry your daughter has gone through such a hard year. My son also lost is beloved grandfather this summer and his grandmother last summer so we know a bit about where your daughter is coming from. But to lose her father too must be very difficult for her, especially at her age. Keeping her home is probably the best thing you can do for her right now. It looks like you just need to file an affidavit with the school district to let them know that you are homeschooling. "On an annual basis, a school-age minor shall be excused from attendance by a local board of education and a parent exempted from application of Subsections 53A-11-101.5(2), (5), and (6), if the minor's parent files a signed affidavit with the minor's school district of residence, as defined in Section 53A-2-201, that the minor will attend a home school and receive instruction as required by Subsection (2)(b).
    (b) Each minor who attends a home school shall receive instruction:
    (i) in the subjects the State Board of Education requires to be taught in public schools in accordance with the law; and
    (ii) for the same length of time as minors are required by law to receive instruction in public schools, as provided by rules of the State Board of Education."

You can read the law here. I would suggest that you go over to the Utah Parent Forum to get more specific help with Utah laws and to connect with other families in the area who are homeschooling. Best wishes as you embark on this journey. Please know that you and your daughter are in my thoughts today.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

I am sorry to hear of your dd loss. Is she receiving counseling? In addition to the love and support that you can provide her in a home education environment, it sounds like she may need some help with the depression brought on by her loss.

When you get her home, you may also want to consider giving her sometime away from schoolwork that looks like a traditional classroom. For example, if she likes to bake, you could do math(fractions) and science (physical science) through baking. She could also write about baking (LA) and research how and what other cultures bake or how or what Americans have baked in the past (social studies). If there is something in which she finds comfort or joy, you could wrap her schooling around it while she mourns and heals.

For state specific information, you may get better answers on the UT state forum.
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

You are so right Mandy. Math/Science/cooking class can be fun. Over the holiday break m son took a series of Holiday Cooking classes through CurrClick. They were really good and really inexpensive. I think four dollars per class. In one class they made bread, butter, and ice cream. Now that's my kind of learning.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota