Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Thinking of moving to another state.

We live in TX right now and love homeschooling here because we don't have to do outside testing and don't have to do any kind of yearly stuff to show what our kids are doing. We aren't sure where we will be moving to but are looking into FL, CO, UT mostly but are really open to most any state. I have been looking on HSLDA's site but it's still not 100% clear. I read on a CO eduction's site that in CO the kids have to do outside testing every 2 years but than on HSLDA's site didn't read that. Can anyone help me please. If you know for sure another state that is laid back as TX is about homeschooling please let me know.
    TIA

Hi,

I can't speak to the states you mentioned, but here in Arizona, all we have to do (at this moment in time) is file an affadavit of intent to homeschool with the school superintendent in our county.

Good luck on your decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Hi,

I can't speak to the states you mentioned, but here in Arizona, all we have to do (at this moment in time) is file an affadavit of intent to homeschool with the school superintendent in our county.

Good luck on your decision making.

Thank you, DH really wants to move to Arizona, I'm still being open minded about it, LOL.

Anyone else want to tell me about there state, good and/or bad?

Well this might be far flung for you. But in Connecticut you don't have to do anything at all. The state recommends you file a notice of intent with the school district but you don't have to. And if you do you might be subject to a portfolio review which only asks that you prove education had taken place - not that they are on grade level or are advancing or whatever.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Momma Crystal View Post
    Well this might be far flung for you. But in Connecticut you don't have to do anything at all. The state recommends you file a notice of intent with the school district but you don't have to. And if you do you might be subject to a portfolio review which only asks that you prove education had taken place - not that they are on grade level or are advancing or whatever.

HTH

Thank you, I would love to move to Connecticut but DH says no, LOL.

Can anyone one else tell me about there state please?

IL and KY are both very laid back about homeschooling. I've heard that IL (where I used to live and plan to be when my kids come of actual school age) is the 2nd most homeschool friendly state, with TX being #1, and in KY (where we are now) all you have to do is file a letter of intent with the school board at the beginning of the school year. What I have read about IL is that basically you are considered a private school and as long as you are teaching the core subjects in the english language, and have "school" approximately the same number of days as the public schools, that is all that is required. KY is very similar.

This might be helpful.

HSLDA | Home School Laws

Thank you both. DH and I are still talking. We both like Utah the most for the area. I want to live in a ski resort but we can't afford most of them so were mostly looking into southern Utah (Brian Head).

Junior Member Newbie

I am from Idaho. I just started homeschooling a month ago. The only requirement to homeschool my children was to verbally tell the principal that they will be taught at home. There is no state requirement to have them tested each year, but we have the option to have our children tested with their local school if I let them know before hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast