Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Newbie

Default What do you use in addition to T4L?

Hello all!
    We just started doing T4L and my 6 1/2 year old LOVES it. We are considering home school for 2nd grade next year and I just wanted to get some ideas on what you use as far as curriculum, websites,hands on material in addition to T4L.

We are just in the research phase currently.

TIA!

Hi & welcome
    I am glad that you both are enjoying this program... I have personally been using it for 3 years and counting & both of my kids love it too
    We find that with T4L we dont really need to add but, like most we do just for fun. I started the series "Story of the world" & we like using Spelling City as well.
    Besides that its just the Library & educational shows on TV.
    Good Luck!
    Roadschooling Mom to DD & DS

Default many questions

We are in our 2nd year of homeschooling and it has been a challenge. We've bounced around with different curriculum trying to find a fit for our 2nd grader.

I signed up my youngest with T4L because I'm trying to capture his interest in the Internet while keeping up with his level of knowledge (he is technically PreK but is well on Kindergarten level)

My 2nd grader is interested in what he is doing online so I finally gave in to try YET another curriculum. I have a large stack of resources that we keep "trying" but I feel frazzled and out of sync every day because I don't feel we have a well organized path.

She is a struggling reader but strong in other subjects.

So finally, my question, what do you do for writing? She is practicing cursive but I mean writing practice or copywork?

Junior Member Newbie

I have supplement due to the extreme lack of lessons in both history & science.

I use other curriculum for both subjects & plan (next year) to let her do the T4L lessons only if they are on topic with what we are doing.

As far as the writing question, my 2nd grader is currently doing Writing with Ease for copywork/narration/beginning writing. For us, I'd give it a solid B.
    My main complaint is that it moved along too slowly as far as introducing new grammar rules, but we just skipped ahead as needed to make it fit us.
    She likes that the copy work is short and I like that it is more than mindless copying as it involves that day's grammar rule or a narration from the passage we read.

A lot of my homeschool friends are religious, so they use Bible passages & such for copy work. I think it all comes down to what will capture your child's attention & what you want them to gain from doing it.

To be honest, the absolute best thing for her writing (both penmanship & content) was finding her a pen pal. She wants her letters to look good & be fun to read so she works very, very hard on them & enjoys doing it! I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by MISSOURIMOM View Post

I use other curriculum for both subjects & plan (next year) to let her do the T4L lessons only if they are on topic with what we are doing.

As far as the writing question, my 2nd grader is currently doing Writing with Ease for copywork/narration/beginning writing. For us, I'd give it a solid B.
    My main complaint is that it moved along too slowly as far as introducing new grammar rules, but we just skipped ahead as needed to make it fit us.
    She likes that the copy work is short and I like that it is more than mindless copying as it involves that day's grammar rule or a narration from the passage we read.

A lot of my homeschool friends are religious, so they use Bible passages & such for copy work. I think it all comes down to what will capture your child's attention & what you want them to gain from doing it.

To be honest, the absolute best thing for her writing (both penmanship & content) was finding her a pen pal. She wants her letters to look good & be fun to read so she works very, very hard on them & enjoys doing it! I highly recommend it.
    I have a separate Science curriculum that we tried out and we just used the T4L science lesson that added a great animation of the concept.

I like the idea of the penpal and since we just relocated she is interested in being penpals with some friends back home. That is a great suggestion! Thank you!

Blog Entries

I have used Time4Learning since pre-K. My son is now mostly in third grade. We use Handwriting Without Tears since most of t4l is on the computer. We also do lots and lots of field trips to the local Nature Center, an Environmental Center, a Historical Site, an Art Museum. Each of these places have monthly classes that we attend. In our area there are frequently other classes that we can tap in to as well. For instance, we just took a two hour class All About Ireland. My son does play soccer on two different teams so he has that for sports. And he is a member of two different rocket clubs. We do science experiments frequently as well.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

fairylover I know you are in my state. I wonder which Nature Center etc that you are attending!

We add a lot to T4L. We pretty much only use T4L for LA and LA ext. We add Math U See, Handwriting without Tears, Five in a Row, Sonlight Science, and classes at our Nature Center, Art Classes, Book clubs, etc.

Blog Entries

We have taken classes at Flat Rock Brook in Englewood and we love the classes at Tenefly Nature Center in Tenefly. We also go every month to Beczak Environmental Center in Yonkers, NY.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

We use T4L for math, LA, and LA Ext. I use My Father's World for Bible, Science, History, and Geography.
    Mama to 3 girls: , , and

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MISSOURIMOM View Post

How did you find your daughter's penpal? My 7 yr old really would like to have a penpal maybe from a different country.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast