Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

View Poll Results: HOMESCHOOL BURNOUT! Do you dream about putting your children in a traditional school?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daily

0 0%
  • Several times a week

2 20.00%
  • Occasionally throughout the year

1 10.00%
  • Not very often

5 50.00%
  • Never

2 20.00%
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bailbrae
  • 1 Post By Dee

Thread: Homeschool Burnout!

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Homeschool Burnout!

Homeschooling is hard work, but most homeschooling parents think it's worth it. How often do you dream about putting your children into a traditional school?

Homeschooling 6 Kids for 15 Years and Counting

Every now and then I think about it. But it is not because I am burned out. I am completely certain homeschooling is the right thing for my child. She is completely convinced that homeschooling is the right thing for her. But she is strong willed, and so am I, and sometimes we butt heads in a magnificently impressive manner. When we butt head so powerfully, sometimes I just want to not butt heads anymore. Then I remember how horrible her behaviore and attitude were when she was in public school...and I get over wanting to ever send her back to public school.
    Linda
    Homeschooling on the internet, at the desk, on the sofa, in the car,
    and at Web-Home-School!

Blog Entries

Nope. Never. I did have a period of burnout...about a year after we started homeschooling, lol. I kept trying to make my homeschool run the way others were making their's run. But I realized that as long as the boys are learning/thriving/growing, there really isn't a "supposed to" kinda way to homeschool. Since that realization hit, it's been fairly smooth sailing. Sure, there is resistance some days. But no burnout.
    Joyfulmama and MamaCo like this.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek, called Mama by two incredible boys.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now entering their 10th year (2014-15) of homeschooling!

Visit me at You. Me. Us.

Dee
    Blog Entries

When I first started homeschooling I would daydream about sending them to public school A LOT! But it seems the longer I homeschool, the less I'm able to imagine doing anything else.
    bailbrae likes this.
    Mom of 3
    boy '98, girl '00, boy '01 (Aspie)

Blog Entries

I do occasionally when oldest pushes my buttons by slacking on his work but other than that we are happy with homeschooling burnout happens and we take breaks!!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

I think I have an annual "burnout time" that lasts a couple weeks. I do not really dream about putting the kids in typical school though. I can empathize with having a daughter who is strong willed. My daughter is but I am not and it drains every once of energy the way that girl can argue. The thought of putting either child in regular school actually scares me,lol.

What I do dream of though is a couple months of them going to a daycamp. When they were a younger they did for a few weeks out of the summer and for the most part it was soooo nice!

Not from burn out, but I have considered putting my youngest in school. Both his brothers will be gone next year and he will be alone. The big boys are going to be together for college and the little guy has said that, if he were prepared to go, he would go with them. If I could find somewhere that was a good fit academically, I would look into it. The Doodlebug was not designed to be an only child and I know he is going to be lonely.
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Hi all, great to be back with T4L.

Wow this is a great question for me. I have two boys, one very strong willed.

I did have burn out and did put the kids back into public school.
    We homeschooled for many years and I have older kids too in their 30's now that homeschooled too.
    Well, I wish I would not have placed them back.
    Oh not that I don't like the school, I do. And most the teachers are very nice.
    but values get messed up and the social thing...well let me tell you..the social thing... truly is what some say and it has changed them.
    However, they are still in public and one wants to continue into high school(praying about that one) in public and my 6th grader, well he likes the friends and the electives that go along with public but he miss all the great things about homeschooling.
    We are preparing to homeschool next year for him now.
    He will go for wood shop and PE etc. but main classes at home.

It does get tiring homeschooling for some of us and for some of us as well we wonder if we are doing the right thing.
    I have learned many things as a homeschool parent, one being that IT IS hard taking the teacher hat off.
    Time 4 me is what I needed.
    Funny thing is I found myself every day in the eSIS checking grades and being just as concerned and wanting to be just as involved as when we homeschooled. Ha! So much for leaving burn out behind. lol.

Not really. I did get a well deserved break and the kids learned much about what it is like to be in public school in upper grades.
    They thought school from about 8-9am to around 2pm every day was a lot, but they forgot that they had lunch time when THEY were hungry and they read books without being made to for the sake of a reading log, which I might add that if they forgot to bring home the reading log that it dropped their LA grade one whole grade over night! AND he got an in school suspension for 4 days because he did not bring that log home for me to sign! (yeek!) (He loves to read, so this was sad) For me it was very hard to see my readers, not wanting to read! I do understand that they do that for many reasons at the schools though, one being just learning to follow what they are told to do.

-They forgot how nice it was to be done for the day and so did I forget about that when I thought how nice it would be to put them in traditional school. Hum, I have seen my 6th grader come home and have so much homework that he worked until 8pm, night after night, however being on the honor roll is important to him so he would study into the evening hours.

I forgot when I was tired about how the public schools approach sex ed too. Wow! We are a family who teaches abstinence. Knowing that they grow up and follow their own; but I just don't like anyone telling my child that they have "confidentiality", good...maybe...but again I want my kids to know our family values and heavens sake ..if I had a daughter, why on earth would I want her to run off and get a confidential abortion without speaking to me about a choice that she made and now regrets. Oh My!
    So burn out for me...well I will figure out something in the future when I am feeling burn out coming on. LOL
    Just too much "cattle herding" for me.
    So I have shared my thoughts here, hope it wasn't too much.
    learn laugh teach rest and then ...start all over again. lol lol
    Last edited by MeMa; 04-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.