Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Having a hard time withdrawing kids from public school

I am just starting tho homeschool my 2 6th graders. I went to their school yesterday & signed the withdrawal forms. I had already mailed a letter of intent, which they have received. I got a call (automated) from the absentee office about them missing today. So, I called the school and the counselor said that they cannot withdraw them until they have a "code" for the reason from the school board!! I have never heard of this?? Is this the normal process?? They now have 4 absences and I was told by the school that after the 5th day the truancy officer would be sent to my house!!! I have the signed withdrawal form that I got a copy of from the school, my receipt for the certified letter that I had mailed to the state doe stating that I am a non-public school not seeking approval......so just waiting on that stamped returned letter. So am I doing this right?? Will the papers I have be ok to show the truancy officer, if they come?? Please help!!Thanks so much!!SharonBTW... I'm in Ascension Parish

Sharon,
    I have never, ever heard of the code thing. I homeschooled in LA in Livingston parish for more than 5 years, and pulled my daughter out of public school mid-year. I personally believe that they are pulling your string. My suggestion would be that you call the DOE Monday morning, and speak with someone there, preferrably in the department where you sent the letter. Tell them you are having trouble with the school, and have enrolled your children in (the name of your private school, not seeking acreditation) as of (and give the date of your letter to the DOE. Ask them what to do now, because the public school will not accept your withdrawal and enrollment in your private school.

If a truancy officer comes, you need a copy of your letter of intent to withdraw that you gave the school, a copy of the letter that you sent to the DOE and your reciept from the post office. You do NOT need to allow them in your home, or allow them to speak with your children. It might be ok to allow them to see your children, but not speak to them in or out of your presence. Don't worry that you do not have a copy of the letter back from the state, your letter stating the date your private school began, and the withdrawal form from the public school should be all you need, you are NOT asking for permission to run your private school, you are simply notifying the state that you have begun operation.

Seriously, you should be fine, I have never heard of anyone having this much trouble. You appear to be in compliance as far as I understand the law, and you seem well versed in the requirements. Be brave!
    Linda
    Homeschooling on the internet, at the desk, on the sofa, in the car,
    and at Web-Home-School!

Thanks so much for reassuring me, Linda!! This process has been so stressful!! We just moved to this area & the kids were only enrolled there for 2 weeks before I decided to pull them out. They were having a hard time adjusting to the new school, my daughter was being bullied & picked on and they said that they just didn't feel welcomed there. So I had enough of this school. I am going to call the school board and fond out what the process is and about a "code" that is needed to officially withdraw.

Thanks again!

Sharon

You are welcome. I hope you can put this mess behind you soon. Why do they have to make is so miserable? Feel free to vent, rant, cry on our shoulders, or tell us how great of a day you've had. Do let us know how things turn out today, ok?

Here's to happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    and at Web-Home-School!

Things are finally settled and I fell vindicated!!! LOL!! I finally had enough of the automated calls stating that my child was marked absent.......3 days AFTER I did the withdraw forms. SO, I called the school board to see what they say the process is to withdrawal and to just make sure I did do everything right. I explained our situation to the very nice lady on the phone & told her all the trouble I was having with the school and what not. She said that they would call the school themselves & find out what exactly they need to get my kids off their rolls! A few hours later, I get a call from the very rude lady at the school that I had been dealing with, only this time she was so sweet & pleasant!! lol I think she had a nice chewing out from someone at the school board Anyway, she proceeds to tell me that the truancy official had called her about us & she told him what I was doing & everything & he told her to take my kids off their rolls!! She told me that she told him that she would after the 11th (when grades are due) so that my kids would not have zeros and that after that she would take them off as of the 4th. I said that was fine.......just happy to finally be getting it done!! She called back a few minutes later, after she spoke with someone at the school board again, and they told her to take my kids off their rolls as of the 4th and that they weren't even there long enough to have grades!! So it is done & I did not have an automated absentee call today!! YAY!!! I found it funny how nice she was being to me after all she has put me through!! I guess the school board was tired of it too!!

Thanks agin for listening & letting me vent!!! We are starting T4L next week. We have just been "unschooling" and just doing the basics. I will post & let ya'll know how we are doing!!

Sharon

Whew! Glad you got results, school board seemed to make the difference here. You are always welcome to vent here, it is one of the reasons we are here.

The unschooling thing you are doing is probably really good, most children who change from one educational type to another (public to homeschool) need a period of transition to decompress. Don't be surprised if you need more than a week for them to hit their stride in homeschooling, I have heard that it is anywhere from one week to one month per year that they were in traditional school for them to successfully make the transition.

Can't wait to hear your reports on how school is going for them, please keep us posted!

And...Happy Homeschooling!
    Linda
    and at Web-Home-School!