Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 4 Tips for "NEW" Users!

Member Regular

Well, I tried breaking up the lessons.

It would have worked better if I'd had each child do one subject. I just let them each do a little, so I had to remember who did what...who needed to go again.

I could see how doing it this way(one sub at a time) allows the student to complete more lessons in each subject.

Cool.
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Member Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I do allow dd a short break between subjects. She is LD and needs the break. Usually lets the dogs runs around. We kennel them so keep the distractions down. They are glad when she gives THEM a break too.

I learned before we started hsing that dd needs me to be close to correct her before she moves on and gets confused. It does no good for me to correct her a day later on something because she doesn't have the capacity to go back in her mind to know what the process was. But if I catch her making a mistake right away we don't keep having the same error for days.

I don't need the noise filtering headphones since I only have one daughter hsing. But great idea for a busy family.

My tips! Keep a dry erase board handy and a couple colors of pens to give an example if that "light" does not turn on right away. I love the way T4L shows how to regroup for subtractions but when dd was trying to do it herself we had to find a way to demonstrate it with color that she could duplicate each time so she could learn the pattern.

We also keep paper handy so if I want to jot down a word for her vocabulary lesson.

Member Regular

my ds10 has LD also, how old is your dd? I have become much more comfortable homeschooling him (and feeling like I can meet his needs)now that we are using t4l. All the pressure isn't on me to figure out what works. I am grateful to be able to switch levels as needed.

Mary~

So what do you do w/ the other kids while one is on the computer? I think I have asked before, but please answer again for me.

Right now as we are getting settled, I just let the others play.

Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Blog Entries

Hi Jennifer, A few things we do:

While one child is working on the computer, we have the others:

1- Doing their chores. (kitchen, take garbage out, sweet floor, put away folded laundry, clean out cat box, Make bed, vacuum their room, pick up toys, dust)

They do ONE or TWO chores at a time and then back to school. Also, my oldest does other school things besides T4L'ing so he has school work.

2- My oldest takes his shower while the my youngest does his lessons. (I actually wake my oldest two up an hour later than the little ones and this helps as well.)

3- Handwriting/copywork.

4- Read a loud picture books for the young ones.

5- Work on resource pages

6- Take the dog for a walk

7- Get outside in the sunshine while the computers being used.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMary
    Hi Jennifer, A few things we do:

While one child is working on the computer, we have the others:

1- Doing their chores. (kitchen, take garbage out, sweet floor, put away folded laundry, clean out cat box, Make bed, vacuum their room, pick up toys, dust)

They do ONE or TWO chores at a time and then back to school. Also, my oldest does other school things besides T4L'ing so he has school work.

2- My oldest takes his shower while the my youngest does his lessons. (I actually wake my oldest two up an hour later than the little ones and this helps as well.)

3- Handwriting/copywork.

4- Read a loud picture books for the young ones.

5- Work on resource pages

6- Take the dog for a walk

7- Get outside in the sunshine while the computers being used.

I'm curious what kind of copywriting do you do?

Blog Entries

Hi twobitford,

We normally do our memory verse, but this year I am considering ordering copywork books from queens homeschool. They have all different kinds. If you go to their site it has samples
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Those are some good tips. I like to be able to hear the girls working because that way if I don't hear them moving along I can assist. Our house is rather quiet though, and they work in the office, so I can see what an asset headphones would be in a busier household.

My suggestion would be to build a schedule with lots of breaks between classes. When we go full time, I am planning for both children to do T4L at the same time, then have a short "recess" between subjects. The plan is to do a block of two subjects on T4L (including the break), then have a non T4L class (art, music, foreign language). We will make lunch, then do the other 2 subject block. Silent reading and journal writing will be in the late afternoon when little brother has his quiet time. My T4L kids are younger (1st and 3rd) so their workload isn't as intense as some of the higher grades probably are but either way I think breaks throughout the day are important. Depending on how their extracurricular activities pan out after the move, we will either be doing gym first thing in the morning or after writing/ reading time.

We will be doing T4L 4 days per week so that the extra day (probably Wednesday) can be for day trips (library, museums, etc) or lessons-in-life. I think helps break up the week for them. I haven't decided how often our school vacations will be. Does anyone have a suggestion for that?
    Melissa.

Default Re: 4 Tips for "NEW" Users!

The two biggest tips I would offer would be:

1.) Notes: Since teaching my girls how to take notes as they do their lessons, they have all dramatically increased their scores in Science and Social Studies.

2.) Mastery: If they don't score at least 70% on a quiz or test, I have them redo the lesson and retake the quiz or test

These two things things have increased their success and self-confidence

~Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by mandiana
    The two biggest tips I would offer would be:

1.) Notes: Since teaching my girls how to take notes as they do their lessons, they have all dramatically increased their scores in Science and Social Studies.

2.) Mastery: If they don't score at least 70% on a quiz or test, I have them redo the lesson and retake the quiz or test

These two things things have increased their success and self-confidence

~Amanda
    I agree!!

I also recommend reading text-based chapters at least twice, if not three times, before taking quizzes. Usually, I have mine read a page twice before moving to the next page. I tell them to move forward only after they are sure they understand the current page.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Junior Member Newbie

Hey guys! Well I'm new to T4L but I've been HS for 4 years now. I totally agree with breaking in between subjects. Generally, Lj breaks (20-30 min.) for every 2 subjects.

One of the skils I want to impart through HS is having a better concept of "real life"...I don't believe that most children are thoroughly prepared for adulthood. So with this in mind, we have an agreement with a nearby Co. in which the owners allow Lj to deliver breakfast goods every Mon. & Fri. morning. He is responsible for all aspects of this little business....baking, delivery, record keeping, and BUDGETING! In doing this, his alarm sounds at 6 a.m., he gets himself up and begins his day. Well we started T4L two days ago and I've already found that having him start T4L as soon as he gets up on Tues.-Thurs., allows him to complete most of his lessons BEFORE the 2 year old wakes up. This also gives me the opportunity to work with him one on one, knowing the little one is safe and not trying to climb Mt. Everest ... (my desk) lol.

Our days have run much more smoothly, with lots less yelling

In short my tips are:

1.) break when needed
    2.) notice the time of day and location (a bedroom or a suny spot on the porch) in which your children focus the best, try to schedule accordingly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast