Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Default Best Online Sources for Homeschoolers

What do you think is the best online sources for homeschooling?
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

My fifth grader uses spellcity.com for spelling. I used k12reader.com to obtain a list of spelling words for 36 weeks. My daughter uses spellcity.com to play games and learn her spelling words.

Blog Entries

We use and love SpellingCity.com here too! It's one of my favorite resources. K12reader looks like another good resource; thanks for sharing that, MadisonJade'sMom!
    Katie
    Mom of 2 boys
    Homeschooling for 8 years
    and counting!!
    Visit me at You. Me. Us.

Junior Member Newbie

Though this is an older post, I have for some time (before T4L, in fact) had my daughter going to www.booksshouldbefree.com for live audio streaming on books. Great for parents and kids alike, they have all the classic literary books and even non-fictional history. I haven't looked through it all yet, but I thought it was pretty neat! I am also aware of a website, www.kaarme.com, and if for some reason the library doesn't have it, you can have a book shipped to you. You pay a rental fee, but I believe that if it's under so many days, you can ship it back for free and you won't be charged. Just an idea.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. These both sound like great resources.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Eleven year old Dakota

Ian Nesbit

Default Slightly more advanced sites

I'm about to graduate with a Masters in Education from Delta State University, & worked as an Educational Technology intern last year in a middle school. During that time (& since) I've done a lot of research & used a lot of websites, & these are some of my favorites:

Khan Academy for Science & Math videos, & math exercises from arithmetic to calculus, etc.
    I've refreshed my own math skills on here & am back up to where I left off 10 years ago in high school.

Sheppard Software: Fun free online learning games and activities for kids. for Geography & Science Games.

www.webadventures.rice.edu for real science career video games

Arcademic Skill Builders - Fun Educational Games for Kids lower level multiplayer online skills practice games

TED-Ed | Series various subjects, short videos & questions

Bill Hammack's Video & Audio on Engineering for video breakdowns of common technologies.

Crash Course science & history (fairly advanced & mature; says things like "long ass time ago"...): Crash Course! - YouTube

History in the Movies info on history-based Hollywood movies

Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs): www.coursera.org
    www.udacity.com

Blog Entries

Thanks for the great list of links. I know they will be very useful. Can't wait to check them out.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Eleven year old Dakota