Finding a mid-year starting point
" "
    Junior Member Newbie

Default Finding a mid-year starting point

Hello. My 8th-grade daughter has decided she'd like to be homeschooled. Her grandfather is actually a middle school teacher, so I have help and feel very blessed as I do work from home part time.

My question is...where do I find a starting point for her to begin?

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Finding a mid-year starting point

Hi! You might be interested in this very recent thread about starting homeschool mid-year. It explains how to easily determine what your child already knows and also links to a YouTube video about starting homeschool mid-year.

It's great that your husband is willing to help. I have two friends who are teachers who also homeschool their own children. They say they can successfully homeschool despite their teaching degrees. The skills can be very different. I also have a daughter who was homeschooled through high school and is in her third year of college to become a teacher. She is learning a lot of crowd-control things that really weren't an issue when homeschooling. It will definitely be an advantage to have a second person teaching, but it could make it a little more difficult to wean yourself from the public school mindset, which most homeschoolers eventually realize is an important thing to do.

We're happy to have your family on board!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Re: Finding a mid-year starting point

This article also offers some helpful tips for those starting mid-year!

4 Ways to Manage a Midyear Homeschool Transition