Middle School Science
" "

Default Middle School Science

We are going through 6th grade this year and when I signed up I chose Middle School Science, rather than 6th grade science.

Does Middle School Science have three years worth of material all available at once? Or does Middle School Science for 6th grade differ from what is available for 7th grade and 8th grade?

Brokk...

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Middle School Science

Hi!

Each middle school science course is designed to last one traditional school year. Since the order in which they are taken does not matter, you are provided with all of it and you or your student may choose which course to use each middle school year.

The exception is The Nature of Science, which is designed to last one semester. It can be done along with any science course. It covers lab safety, explains about lab equipment, teaches how to measure and report data, goes over "the scientific method" and other things that students need to know for any science course. If you schedule that course out over an entire school year, your student will be doing science about twice a week.

"Sixth Grade Science", "Seventh Grade Science" and "Eighth Grade Science" are the old, text-based (bus still interactive) science courses. Some families started with those and want to complete them. You would use those INSTEAD OF any of the middle school science course, as each one of the older courses is designed to last one traditional school year, also.

Science and social studies cover such a broad area that no student could ever study every science and social studies topic before they graduate. It's common for schools to let them choose the topics they are interested in or that align best with their career goals.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks!

Now to figure out how to fit a 1/2 year course into the planner....

Thank you!

I am trying to schedule the science, but it wants to do things in parallel and I want to do them serial. For example, I would prefer to schedule 11 chapters of Earth Science, then end the year with three chapters of Life Science. The planner is putting them in to both happen at the same time, spread out through the entire year.

Secondly, I would like to have my daughter work on the Nature of Science in the first half of the year and get it finished, but if I add it into the planner, it spreads it out through the whole year.

Is the only solution to make multiple plans? IE: Most subjects, 11 earth science chapters, 3 life science chapters, nature of science, each with their own start/end dates?

Blog Entries

Yes, the activity planner is based on start and end dates. If all subjects do not have the same beginning and ending date, you need to generate a separate plan for each group of subjects that will have a different beginning or ending date. Only one plan can be set as default to show up on the student's dashboard, so you will probably want to print the plans and have your student manually check off completed items.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hmmm.... I seem to be having an issue. I had created 3 plans earlier, playing around a bit to find out how things worked. This morning, having a solid idea of what I wanted I created four plans:

Earth Science, ending in mid-April
    Life Science, beginning after April break to the middle of June
    Nature of Science, ending before the December Holiday break
    Everything but science, year long covering all the other subjects

Yet when I go to look at or print my plans, only the most recent three show up. Earth science, as well as my previous "test" plans are gone.

Is there a limit to the number of plans you can have per student?

(edit)
    I found out how to make one the default, as well as delete plans.

(more edit)
    I decided to follow your advice and print the shorter plans, then delete them so I could re-add Earth Science. However, as soon as I deleted one plan, Earth Science popped back up. It seems I can have as many plans as I want, but it will only display the most recent three as options. Which is less than useful at the moment, but I'm still happy to see the old ones there.
    Last edited by Brokk; 09-02-2016 at 07:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Well, the three-plan display limit is a new one for me. The planner is designed to make a "master plan" for the entire year, or two plans . . . one for each semester.

I haven't ever had great luck planning too far in advance, because someone always has a dentist appointment that we didn't expect, or the basement floods, or something. Make your plans, and then stay flexible. It's not unusual for me to re-do my kids' plans a couple times throughout the year.

Thanks again. I wish there were a way to combine or merge plans together into a Master Plan.

We aren't overly hung up on what is done day to day. I like that it basically thinks of the time unit as a week, and it's more concerned about "get this done in a week". I have advised my daughter to try and stay a week ahead of things when she can, so it leaves us time for other things that may end up consuming a day or two here and there.

I printed the plans, but I really do like being able to go check myself to see that all the activities are done. Three works for now.

Brokk...

Blog Entries

You're creative enough to poke around, experiment, and figure out what works best for your family. Thanks for sharing it here, too, because others exploring the forum can benefit from your hard work.