Pacing
" "
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Pacing

Default Pacing

This is my first year home schooling. My 6th grade daughter chose to be homeschooled this year, so we are trying to work through it together. I signed up for Time4Learning because it seems very robust and has a lot of tools and planning already done, that I figured it would save me a lot of time and effort. However, being new, I have some questions:

1) Where to start - Is there an obvious path of lessons for each subject, or is it more pick/choose what you want to do?

2) Pacing - I know there are State requirements for how much time should be spend learning through the year, but is there any sort of guide about how long each unit takes and how much times should be spent on each one? I worry about pushing too hard and not having enough material for the year, as well as being too lax and focusing on other areas of learning, then finding we have a mountain of work left to cover and not a lot of time to do it. How do you determine what the right pace is? How much time do you spend on each subject/day, and how does that time break down? For example: 20 min learning/30 min practicing - 50 min/day/subject.

I understand one advantage to homeschooling is being able to go at your own pace. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. However, it would help immensely if I had some targets to shoot for and general guidelines to follow, besides 5.5 hours/day for 180 days.

Brokk...

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pacing

Hi! Welcome!

Have you explored your parent account? You can set up an activity plan there. Yes, there is a suggested sequence. You can use it or not.

Here is information about using the Activity Planner.

The length of the lessons does vary according to how quickly your student answers questions, whether they answer correctly the first time or require additional explanation, and so forth. There are also open-ended Authentic tasks, which might be a website to explore or a worksheet to print and do. And quizzes and tests probably won't take very long.

When you set up your activity planner, for high school, a VERY rough estimate might be half an hour per activity.

There is a lot to learn when you first get started! Most of the time, parents ask a lot of questions when they begin and then find they are in a position to start answering other members' questions after they have used the curriculum for a couple of weeks.

Have fun!
    cm97 likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!