reporting grades
" "

Question reporting grades

How to a calculate the % to a letter grade that can be reported? Is there a formula you use for the test, quizzes and assignments?

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jwbmom99!

There are many, many ways to calculate a grade. Time4Learning reports are for parent information, so you can calculate a grade using your chosen method.

Here is an easy and typical way.

Decide what scores you want to include in your grade. Some people just choose all the scored work from a subject. Others like to only include test scores, or test and quiz scores. Still others include test scores twice, to give them more importance.

Example of "the easy way" : Child has done six scored assignments in math. Parent adds up all six scores: 70%, 90%, 90%, 100%, 80%, and 100%. Total is 530.

Now divide the total by the number of assignments you included.

Example: 530 divided by six math assignments equals 88.33.

Now assign your letter grade. Usually, an average of ninety percent or above is an A, 80-89 is a B, 70-79 is a C, 60-69 is a D, and below that is an F. There are loads of other ways to do that, though. Here's a chart that includes pluses and minuses. You can search for other charts. Just be consistent about which one you choose to use.

Example: According to my method, this child would receive a B. According to the chart I linked you to, his grade would be a B+.

Just a "Kelly" note: Grades are intended to let a third party know how your child is doing . . . like for a teacher to communicate with a parent. Many experienced homeschoolers who are not required to report grades do not issue grades before high school, unless they have a particular child who finds grades motivating. Many families do not allow their student to proceed until they are satisfied that they have learned the material, and a grade would be fairly pointless in those instances, since the student would always get an A or a B.

Once a student is in high school, you will probably want to use grades if you think you will be preparing a transcript for college.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default Re: reporting grades

How do you do grades

Default Re: reporting grades (Question)

Hello!
    I'm new to Homeschooling. I pulled my son from High School last week. He's a second semester sophomore and he was struggling. I watched his grades go from A to F in two quarters and I could not believe the struggle until he broke down and said he can't do this HS any more. I researched for two days and found the Time4Learning program. I like the curriculum and I want to give him a chance for success. We started this week so I'm praying for a turn around. I live in Illinois and I reviewed the laws, wrote the letter, met with the registrar and completed the withdrawal. If my son decides he would like to return to the High School facility in the fall of this year, can I show the transcript I create from the course work he completed for this program so that he can be placed in his correct grade? Or, am I suppose to do something else? Thx

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi, Hollimon2. Until high school, most public schools will enroll a previously homeschooled student at the grade level that corresponds to their age.

Public high schools do not have to accept non-public-school work for credit. There are no laws about what they must or may not accept. Although some schools make their own policy, it often comes down to the opinion of the individual you are speaking with at the school.

All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. Employers are required to treat a homeschool diploma the same as any other diploma, if the student was legally homeschooled. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know, and many colleges actively recruit homeschool graduates.

When issuing a homeschool diploma, the parent decides what the student must do to graduate from the family's home school. So, while graduating from your family's home school can be a very straightforward process, mixing homeschooling with public school is more problematic at the high school level. You will likely encounter challenges getting homeschool work accepted for credit. It's a good idea to check with the school in advance.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com .

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank You for your response.