Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Thread: Brand New Here

Junior Member Newbie

Default Brand New Here

Hi, MY name is Kira and I just pulled my son out of public school and started homeschooling today. My son is Elijah, and is 7 and in second grade.

(I have previous experience with homeschool as I was homeschooled myself from 4-12)
    I'm loving this time for learning as it's so different from anything I had growing up. Nice to know theres a program out there catering to different ways kids learn.

Because I just pulled him out of school and he's already completed half of second grade I'm trying to figure out where to start him in this program so he doesn't have to do everything all over again that he's already done. Hoping someone has advice on how that works because as of right now looking over the lesson plans he'd have to do ALOT of work to finish by beginning of june.

I look forward to getting to know you all better, hearing tips and just talking to other homeschool moms!

Blog Entries

Hi Kira, and welcome! I love hearing from homeschooling parents who were homeschooled themselves!

Everyone is different, as far as how they go about completing a partial year with the program. I can share what we did though. We started T4L halfway through a grade level when my son was in 2nd grade. Since I was lost (textbook definition of an accidental homeschooler!), I had no idea what to do. We just jumped in at the beginning of T4L's 2nd grade. When we came to something that he had already done, we skipped it. It was a little confusing, but not horribly so. It worked out well for us and he finished up that year by the middle of the summer. When he started 3rd grade that next year, there was never a point where he came across something that he should have known already but didn't. If that made sense, lol.

I hope that helped, at least a little.

Even though homeschooling isn't necessarily new to you, I would like to recommend this Welcome to Homeschooling guide. It's got a lot of great information in it. There's also this Getting Started with Time4Learning guide that's a great way to learn a little more about T4L and navigating the site.

And one last thing..if you haven't already, I would like to invite you to join our Texas homeschool forum. It can be a good way to find about homeschool happenings in TX, and hopefully meet other homeschoolers near you.

Looking forward to chatting with you more...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek, called Mama by two incredible boys.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now entering their 10th year (2014-15) of homeschooling!

Visit me at You. Me. Us.