Im new...
" "

Thread: Im new...

Junior Member Newbie

Default Im new...

Hello Everyone
    I am starting this year off by homeschooling my 8th grade son. Can anyone give me any good advice on scheduling and making friends who are doing the same thing?

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Im new...

Hi, and wlecome to the forum! You can set up an activity plan for your child by logging in to your parent dashboard. It's always a good idea to do that a day or two before your child begins, so you know how things work and have your plan in place.

Do know that homeschool typically takes less time than traditional classroom learning. Here's an article about that: How Long is a Homeschool Day?

As far as meeting friends, my kids have always been involved in Scouts, 4H, organized sports, VBS, volunteer work, part time jobs, etc. I don't pay attention to their friends' ages . . . meaning I think it's great if they have friends both older and younger than they are. They are always free to bring a friend home from any activity. I have kept what I call an open-door, open-fridge policy regarding friends at my house.

We have also belonged to a homeschool co-op that gets together every Friday afternoon. Each family takes turns deciding what will happen on the Friday they are responsible for. There are about thirty families, so everyone takes one or two Fridays during the year. Sometimes a parent will teach everyone how to do something they are good at themselves (sew a drawstring bag, water color, learn about China after a family's trip there). Sometimes we will go on a field trip (fire department, bakery of a local store, our city's Waste Management department to learn about recycling). Occasionally we'll just have a get-together in the park and everyone will be asked to bring softball equipment or sidewalk chalk. Most families take an extra kid or two home with them after the activities.

If such a thing doesn't exist in your town, it's pretty easy to organize if everyone is expected to be in charge of just one week during the school year.

Those are some ideas from my own life! Hope some of it helps.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!