Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Junior Member Newbie

Default New to MD and Homeschooling

Good Afternoon All,

I just wanted to know how I get started with the whole homeschooling. My family and I moved from Virginia to Maryland and I would liketo homeschool my 17 year old daughter. Also, do you have to be a stay at home parent in order to homeschool your child? I'm just so nervous about doing this, but I think she will be better off.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site kishamichelle I can't really tell you too much about homeschooling in Maryland BUT we have a Maryland forum with a lot of helpful "how to" posts and state links in there. I also recommend Time4Learning's free "Welcome to Homeschooling" guide for all new homeschoolers, for anyone who is just starting out! I hope this helps! And I think anyone who wants their kiddos to be homeschooled IS doing the right thing
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Hi!
    I'm Linda, and I'm the moderator on the Maryland forum. I'd like to invite you to come over and join us there!
    What grade will your daughter be in? The reason I am asking is that T4L only goes through 8th grade.
    Time4Writing does have some high school courses.
    I would still encourage you to drop by the Maryland forum, and the getting started link that PandaHoneyBee offered.
    As for your question about being a stay at home parent...many parents work and still homeschool their children. With a 17 year old, you could homeschool any time you wanted to, it is not necessary to school during the day, or for you to even be present if your daughter is willing to do assignments and is responsible to be home alone.
    I hope this works out well for your family, keep us posted!
    Linda
    Homeschooling on the internet, at the desk, on the sofa, in the car,
    and at Web-Home-School!