Officially Homeschooling This Year!
" "

Default Officially Homeschooling This Year!

Hi, everyone!

Over the past couple of years, we've moved our 3 boys from public school to online school for mostly mental health reasons. The State of Michigan doesn't recognize mental health as legitimate health related reasons for missing school so I've been tangling with truancy for quite awhile now, and quite frankly, I'm done; the stress has been killing me. My boys are 16, 12, and 11. Two of them have ADHD and my middle son has severe anxiety and depression. They were all doing pretty well in our local school district, right up until they weren't To make a long story short, all 3 of my boys were eventually enrolled with Michigan Connections Academy, which was great at first. I had to track their attendance, with the expectation that they put in 5-6 hours a day. Being a public school, although entirely online, MICA is subject to State of Michigan rules. But, anxiety and ADHD will have their way with you, sometimes no matter what you do, and all 3 of them were having trouble keeping up with the lessons and eventually got so far behind and so discouraged that two of my boys didn't pass I was fighting truancy the whole time!

When my 11 and 16 year olds were pulled out of brick-and-mortar school, I signed them up with Time4Learning while waiting for them to be enrolled with MICA. We thought the structure and accountability of MICA would be good for our boys, but instead it backfired horrendously. So I am officially homeschooling all 3 of my boys with Time4Learning at my side

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Officially Homeschooling This Year!

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story.

You aren't alone. Many, many people make the transition from public school to online public school to "real" homeschooling.

The online public-school-at-home options like Connections Academy seek to keep kids "doing school" for a traditional six-hour school day, without acknowledging that kids in public school aren't hitting the books the whole time. There is roll call, assemblies, traveling between classes and, perhaps the biggest time waster of all . . . waiting for the end of a designated class period before they can go on to the next subject. If all there is for math class that day is a short test which they complete in fifteen minutes, they still have to sit there for forty minutes while the other students finish. They can't get started on their language arts lessons like homeschoolers can.

You might be interested in the following articles:

How Long is a Homeschool Day?

Homeschool or School at Home?

We're happy to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!