Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Newbie

Default End of Grade Testing

Hi, I am fairly new to homeschooling. I am interested in any info you can give me on end of grade testing in NC. What test are acceptable in NC? Which are best? Do I administer? My children are in 4th and 2nd grades. Thanks & Blessings- Mom of J-10, G-7 L-4

Quote Originally Posted by nicurnnc View Post
    Hi, I am fairly new to homeschooling. I am interested in any info you can give me on end of grade testing in NC. What test are acceptable in NC? Which are best? Do I administer? My children are in 4th and 2nd grades. Thanks & Blessings- Mom of J-10, G-7 L-4
    I am cutting and pasting from my workshop handout:

NC Home School Annual Testing – All Bark and No Bite!
    · Required once every 12 months after opening your home school.
    · It can be done at any time of the year; most local homeschoolers test in the spring.
    · Homeschool testing is not the same as the end of year testing in public schools. That testing will not fulfill the homeschool requirements.
    · Use a standardized test that includes the subject areas of English grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics. There are many tests that meet the requirements.
    · Popular local tests include the CAT-5, the Iowa, the PASS and the Woodcock Johnson. Please note that the CAT-5 is changing over to the TerraNova and will be “gone” once current testing supplies are used up.
    · Some local support groups do group testing that is open to non-members: two examples are HINTS and WINGS. If you want to test with a group, be sure to find out their deadline for ordering well in advance (like at the beginning of the school year).
    · Parents are allowed to administer tests at home. This is perfectly acceptable. If you have reason to think your child may return to school the following year, it may be advisable to get someone else to test them. You may also want to check with the school they would be attending to see if they have a preference (or if they will use this information at all).
    · Some basic choices
    o The CAT is cheap and easy but gives little useful information Seton Testing Services is one source of this test
    o The PASS test is untimed and preferred by some parents – it goes up to 8th grade http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/test/tmain.asp
    o The Woodcock Johnson is administered by official testers. It costs more, but gives more useful information such as suggestions for specific curriculum in areas of need. Especially helpful for students at different levels or with special needs. Shawn Hill tests at the Homeschool Room in the spring (704-607-9092)
    · Factors to consider when choosing a testing option – what is higher on your priority list?
    o How much useful information do you need from the testing?
    o What is your testing budget?
    o Does your child have special needs?
    o Do you want your children to have group testing experience?
    o Do you want or need them to be tested by someone else?

The most important fact to remember is that in North Carolina, there are no minimum test scores for homeschoolers to achieve – this means that testing is simply an inconvenience, not a huge concern

Hope the formatting survived well enough. This info is for the Charlotte area (where it is area specific). There are many tests that you can use but I talk about only a few so it isn't so confusing. Best for you depends on your needs. I personally like the Woodcock Johnson if cost is not an issue, but you have to find a tester for that and I can't help except here or possibly Raleigh. Anyone can administer the CAT and it is easy and cheap. Only downside is not much useful info from it.

Unregistered

Default End of Grade Prep

Quote Originally Posted by karenhs2 View Post
    I am cutting and pasting from my workshop handout:

NC Home School Annual Testing – All Bark and No Bite!
    · Required once every 12 months after opening your home school.
    · It can be done at any time of the year; most local homeschoolers test in the spring.
    · Homeschool testing is not the same as the end of year testing in public schools. That testing will not fulfill the homeschool requirements.
    · Use a standardized test that includes the subject areas of English grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics. There are many tests that meet the requirements.
    · Popular local tests include the CAT-5, the Iowa, the PASS and the Woodcock Johnson. Please note that the CAT-5 is changing over to the TerraNova and will be “gone” once current testing supplies are used up.
    · Some local support groups do group testing that is open to non-members: two examples are HINTS and WINGS. If you want to test with a group, be sure to find out their deadline for ordering well in advance (like at the beginning of the school year).
    · Parents are allowed to administer tests at home. This is perfectly acceptable. If you have reason to think your child may return to school the following year, it may be advisable to get someone else to test them. You may also want to check with the school they would be attending to see if they have a preference (or if they will use this information at all).
    · Some basic choices
    o The CAT is cheap and easy but gives little useful information Seton Testing Services is one source of this test
    o The PASS test is untimed and preferred by some parents – it goes up to 8th grade http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/test/tmain.asp
    o The Woodcock Johnson is administered by official testers. It costs more, but gives more useful information such as suggestions for specific curriculum in areas of need. Especially helpful for students at different levels or with special needs. Shawn Hill tests at the Homeschool Room in the spring (704-607-9092)
    · Factors to consider when choosing a testing option – what is higher on your priority list?
    o How much useful information do you need from the testing?
    o What is your testing budget?
    o Does your child have special needs?
    o Do you want your children to have group testing experience?
    o Do you want or need them to be tested by someone else?

The most important fact to remember is that in North Carolina, there are no minimum test scores for homeschoolers to achieve – this means that testing is simply an inconvenience, not a huge concern

Hope the formatting survived well enough. This info is for the Charlotte area (where it is area specific). There are many tests that you can use but I talk about only a few so it isn't so confusing. Best for you depends on your needs. I personally like the Woodcock Johnson if cost is not an issue, but you have to find a tester for that and I can't help except here or possibly Raleigh. Anyone can administer the CAT and it is easy and cheap. Only downside is not much useful info from it.

Karen

My 3rd grader takes a variety of math checkpoint tests in school but it's quite difficult to "see" where the struggle is for the 3rd grader. Are there are any organized sample lesson plan and practice tests that I can use to see the issues she is having.?Calculators have been noted by her teacher as an issue but it's hard to help without any specific observations of her struggle and I'm not sure how best to partner with the school if allowed to gauge her specific areas of struggle. Any feedback or parent or tutor groups in Wake County you are aware of are appreciated.

GriesonAcademy

Default Thank you

Thank you so much Karen, this information has helped so much. This is our first year of homeschooling.....so any tips like these are great.

Unregistered

Default Free testing for learning gaps

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Karen

My 3rd grader takes a variety of math checkpoint tests in school but it's quite difficult to "see" where the struggle is for the 3rd grader. Are there are any organized sample lesson plan and practice tests that I can use to see the issues she is having.?Calculators have been noted by her teacher as an issue but it's hard to help without any specific observations of her struggle and I'm not sure how best to partner with the school if allowed to gauge her specific areas of struggle. Any feedback or parent or tutor groups in Wake County you are aware of are appreciated.
    HI,
    I test my children for learning gaps and such for free. Go to Accelerated Christian Education and click on assessments, scroll to the bottom and click on take diagnostic test. You'll have to create a username to see test results or have them emailed to you. It works great for us. Hope this helps.
    Aprel W