Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Blog Entries

Default Okay we're halfway through the school year...,

How's it going? Anyone adding anything new to their homeschool program when we start the new year? Anyone find a wonderful schedule that's working well for them? This is the time of year when homeschool burnout hits and we need each other more than ever. Let's catch up and share idea's;-)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Okay we're halfway through the school year...,

Let me get us started. One thing I am REALLY excited about is getting back into my library. Ours was shut down for renovations. I could have gone to tons of others in our area, but it's weird that I'm such a creature of habit we didn't. I really miss the tons of library books we used to bring home each week and plan to go back this week.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Junior Member Newbie

Interestingly enough I learned that I needed to let go and quit pushing. My son hates school and learning. He always has. If you mention that something he is doing is learning, he stops trying to do it. He is 13 now and is on grade level with most things except math. He has always struggled there. Daily he would fight me on school work (we did virtual academy for 3 years and now we just home school)

I started the year with Abeka Academy thinking that structure is what he needed. Again I pushed to get him through it and he fought back. His attention would be lost half way through the video and he would lose half of the information. Finally, through a lot of research and reading, I found that I needed to quit pushing and see what happens. I needed curriculum that wasn't an hour or more at a time or that I could break up easier. I needed curriculum that was engaging and some that was hands on. That is when I found T4L. I still use documentaries and we do some other science activities. We also go on more field trips.

He stopped fighting me on the classes now. I'm still worried because I only make him do one T4L lesson in each subject as a baseline and he is only able to do the level 6 math and I'm afraid he won't catch up. Should I worry about that and should I be making him do more? If I make him do more, I'm afraid the push will start again and he will fight me on it. I guess if you talk about changing curriculum, I've made a big change from being structured to going eclectic. I went from using Abeka to using T4L. Anyone have any suggestions? I looked at Saxon math and he hates sitting there doing worksheets. I have heard about Math U See but I'm not sure if that would work without seeing a sample of some sort.

Thanks,
    Erika

Erika....I think you've answered your own question. I would suggest that you get a list of requirements for each grade level and/or requirements for graduating high school or college entrance and have your son actively participate in creating his OWN curriculum. You should probably set some parameters, help him create a timeline with flexible deadlines.

Projects that include several curricular areas can be used for grades in all areas covered. Building a doghouse or a chicken house/yard (for example) would require research for plans and designs, estimating how much material and time would be needed; costs of materials, where to actually place the new addition; any additional paid or volunteer assistance that might be needed, etc. A journal of the project could be kept daily which would provide lots of notes and information for a summary paper.
    A project would include language arts, science (physics), math, possibly some history and geography.

You might try to get him an unpaid "internship" somewhere in his current area of interest; a mechanic's helper in a small independent garage, an all-around helper for a newspaper (could be one of those "throwaways"), gofer in a radio station, general helper in a flowershop. He can present himself and learn how to interview and sell himself.

I would put a limit on tv and video games. He could maybe organize his own schedule, and he could create his own consequences for breaking his own rules. I've found that the more responsibility (with attendant consequences) that you give kids, the more they step up ....... they learn to accept success and failure and to figure out what went wrong and how to do it better the next time.

I wish you all the best....mine's only 8 and I don't even want to THINK about THIRTEEN!!!!! *L*
    cheers! deni...........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11675210@N05/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313