Default My second grader was forgotten and no one will listen.

About a week ago, my eight year old boy was acting out in class, and the teacher decided to put him into time out-- which is a good and great tool that normally ends well. This happened, just as they were all getting ready to go to lunch. The teacher took the rest of the class to lunch, as he was in time out for his typical 8 minutes. Well apparently the teacher forgot about him and he was left alone in the classroom crying for the entire lunch period, and a portion of recess.
    When I picked my son up from school, he immediately told me what had happened, because it really shook him up. I must have gone over the story with him at least 20 times because I could not believe that it was actually the whole lunch period and recess that he could have been left alone. I thought perhaps he was exaggerating or making it up. By the next morning I knew that this was not in any way fabricated, exaggerated or made up. So I decided that I would call and talk to the principal. Well, the principal did not want to have anything to do with me and said I should talk to the teacher, but why would I talk to the person that I have the issue with directly? What problem would that resolve? So I kept demanding to speak with the principal and was finally able to do so after calling three times and then threatening to call the school board.
    Well that didn't go well at all, she said that I was being disruptive to the school by calling with an issue that is not a big deal. She admitted that he was left alone for the lunch period, and that it was my son's fault because if he wouldn't have gotten in trouble then he wouldn't have been forgotten. She also said that he should feel lucky that he got to spend a little time with the teacher when she did finally return. She also was very rude to me, and made me feel like I was making a big deal out of nothing. she said I was a rude lady, and was causing problems for my son. She also brought up the point that they work hard with my son because he needs extra tutoring and attention and I am ruining a good thing by making a big deal out of something like this.
    I could not believe what I was hearing I was in shock, and I tried to interrupt her because she kept saying how my son is exaggerating and making a big deal out of this and how eight-year-olds exaggerate things and just on and on. I kept trying to interrupt her saying that he didn't want me to call because he was afraid his teacher would get mad. that it was me as a parent calling because to me this is a great issue.
    This situation is not in any way okay. I should have been contacted by the teacher and told that this happened, and no one contacted me. And I feel that the principal should have taken my report and corrected the issue on her own, and not have kept insisting on me to contact the teacher.
    I ended up hanging up on her because she just kept being so rude and very very unappropriate and argumentative. She would not even let me speak.
    So now for a week I have been leaving messages with the school board, and no one will return my calls. I just don't know what to do. I can't let this go and it could have just been handled at the school with the principal and the teacher. I feel like everyone is avoiding me, and trying to bully me out of having any kind of discussion about this with anyone. This whole situation is being handled so unprofessional and I don't know where to turn.

Default Re: My second grader was forgotten and no one will listen.

Hello,
    You are not alone. My son endured similar things at the age of five. I received basically the same treatment as you, and felt that by the middle of the school year I was an enemy combatant, not a parent trying to pursue an education for her child. To make matters worse, my son was diagnosed with autism the same year that he was being bullied regularly by his teacher, classmates, being told he was immature, being subjected to encouraged ridicule by peers, and treated as the bane of society. Just keep it up. I do not think that you are wrong. Our tax dollars pay for the salary of principals and teachers. Remember that they are there to provide a service and they should be acting accordingly. What they did was wrong, and they should be held accountable. Good luck!
    -Amanda

Not trying to be snarky, but is your child still a student in this school system? If so, why?
    I removed my daughter from public school after receiving treatment similar to yours. My child wasn't forgotten in a class room, but she was being bullied by her first grade teacher, one other student in particular, and excluded by all the other children. (Also called names, made fun of, hit, etc.)
    I promptly removed her from the school. I was told by the HSAP teacher that I needed to call the Principal and let him know she wouldn't be returning. When I did, he could have cared less. I was telling him that he had a teacher working for him that was a bully; I could have been telling him the PB&J sandwiches in the cafeteria weren't any good. He didn't care. All my child was to them was funding dollars.

yeah I ended up taking my child out of this school. He is in a new school that is treating him much differently. things are going much better for him. Hopefully this situation is forgotten and he has moved on. I don't hear him talk about it anymore.

I had similarly disturbing experiences with my daughter during her Kindergarten and 1st grade years in public school which was a large factor in deciding to homeschool her. Most notably:

* Throwing away her B-Day party invitations into the trash in front of her (and of course not informing me, needless to say, no one showed up for her party)

* Making her stay inside for recess because I signed the wrong date on the her homework (again, not informing me or getting in touch for confirmation of my error)

I talked to the teachers about both incidents. They both admitted it happened, however, outright lied about the circumstances trying to pass my daughter off as "over emotional" and "exaggerating" and then trying to make me appear the same. I think what these teachers don't understand is that you don't mess with Momma Bear! lol

You're unfortunately far from alone in experiencing this "holier than thou" attitude from the public schools.