What surprised you when you first started homeschooling?
" "

View Poll Results: What surprised you most when you first began homeschooling?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • It didn't take as long as I expected.

5 27.78%
  • It took longer than I expected.

0 0%
  • The teacher learned, too.

5 27.78%
  • My kids had ample social opportunities.

0 0%
  • Homeschooling is harder on the parent than I thought it would be.

6 33.33%
  • Homeschooling is easier for the parent than I thought it would be.

3 16.67%
  • Something else (please explain)

5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN
  • 1 Post By Ruth_Lanton

Thread: What surprised you when you first started homeschooling?

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default What surprised you when you first started homeschooling?

What surprised you when you first started homeschooling?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Blog Entries

Speaking of this subject, T4L has a great video on their Youtube page called "5 Things I Wish I Had Known When I Started Homeschooling." A few different homeschool moms share what they wish they had known back in the beginning. It's worth a watch - - especially if you are new to the homeschooling adventure.

I sat here really trying very hard to come up with something and couldn't! Perhaps I have been homeschooling for so long that I just don't remember. lol

Homeschooling felt very natural as if it were something I was designed to do. When I worked, I was angry Every. Single. Day. that someone else was spending the day with my children and no matter how wonderful that person was as a teacher they were not ME. They could never be as vested as I was in working toward a positive outcome for my child. Sure, that teacher may be a wonderful teacher and a wonderful person, but it was only the teacher's responsibility to teach. It was not the teacher's responsibility to address the needs of the whole child, my whole child. This responsibility was mine.

In talking through this, I guess what surprised me was that other working parents that I knew at the time didn't feel the same way I did! lol
    Mandy
    lovehmschlg likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

I never expected to like homeschooling. I never wanted to homeschool. I thought children needed to go to school to learn the things they needed to know to live life successfully. When we began homeschooling I realized that my child was less stressed, I was less stressed, eveyrone in the house was less stressed. I realized that public school had ruled our lives for a year and a half, and it was not a pleasant experience.
    I won't say that homeschooling gives us a perfect life, far from it, but it is a better life than we had when my daughter was in public school. And so, in the long run, I found out that I liked homeschooling because of the overall change it made in our family. Now I might be one of homeschoolings biggest fans!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

The hardest and most unexpected part for me was dealing with all the begging from my kids who wanted to go back to public school! Oh, this went on for at least an entire year and completely drove me nuts! In the end, they adjusted just fine and now that we've been homeschooling for 6 years the kids all love it, have made a lot of new friends and can't imagine "having" to go to school. It took a while, and it was a horrible thing to go through for all of us, but the kids have really come full circle!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

I would have to agree with Mandy....just about every word she typed.

It felt so natural for me. I guess I was surprised that I hadn't heard about homeschooling sooner and that more people weren't doing it....I would've done it with my older son who was 15 when I started homeschooling his younger sister. I was too insecure to teach a high schooler at the time.

The homeschool community has grown tremendously since we started over 12 years ago, but I'm still surprised more people aren't doing it or at least interested in learning more about it....that there is still so much ignorance about homeschooling.
    ~ Janet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    I never expected to like homeschooling. I never wanted to homeschool. I thought children needed to go to school to learn the things they needed to know to live life successfully. When we began homeschooling I realized that my child was less stressed, I was less stressed, eveyrone in the house was less stressed. I realized that public school had ruled our lives for a year and a half, and it was not a pleasant experience.
    I won't say that homeschooling gives us a perfect life, far from it, but it is a better life than we had when my daughter was in public school. And so, in the long run, I found out that I liked homeschooling because of the overall change it made in our family. Now I might be one of homeschoolings biggest fans!
    This. Exactly this! Not only had the thought of homeschooling never crossed my mind for my kids, but I was vehemently *against* it. But...apparently, homeschooling was in my future, lol.

I think one of my biggest surprises was, and still is, getting to know my boys. I know all parents get to know their kids. But, I get to spend SO much more time with them than those families that are in a public/private school. I know it sounds silly, but I don't think I fully realized just how well we all get to know one another. If that makes sense, lol.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now entering their 12th year (2016-17) of homeschooling!

Visit me at You. Me. Us.

My first experience ever with homeschooling was when I pulled Hannah out of school in the middle of 5th grade. I began researching homeschooling with the idea that maybe I'd homeschool her for 6th grade, but as I learned more, I questioned the need to wait. In the end, I simply waited until after Leah's Bat Mitzvah, because it was too much work to "learn how to homeschool" and plan a big party all at the same time.

I'd been having a LOT of trouble with Hannah- she didn't want to get up for school, or do her homework after school- most of our interactions became negative. After she'd been home for a few weeks, it changed. She was happy and moving at her own pace. We weren't fighting all the time. With a child who was miserable at school, keeping her home all day was less work than making her go to school!

She eventually chose to return to public school in 8th grade, and is now in community college. She's still not ready to live away from home.

Jack had a pretty miserable time in 6th grade last year, so I'm anticipating something similar with him this year.
    lovehmschlg likes this.