Default how to make my boy stay quiet !!!

Is it me or any mom will have to once yell to the kids? I really don't want to but my boys are very naughty and mess up things, especially when I'm working (I often have to take the kids to work because recently cannot find any suitable nanny).I really need some kind of trick, games, songs, or whatever activities that can make them stay quiet but still learn something. Any recommend?

Default Re: how to make my boy stay quiet !!!

How old are your boys? I have found that many kids are movers and shakers. They are busy and like to hear themselves talk. My 5-year-old daughter talks to her toys and walks in circles singing for a good portion of the day. Can you implement small periods of quiet? Maybe not silence, but soft talking? When my older kids were younger, we often played the quiet game.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I grew up being yelled at, so I don't yell at my kids. I have found that whispering gets their attention best. When you yell, you are contributing to the noise you are trying to stop.

If your kids are used to ignoring you until you yell, that's a habit that will need to be broken. That's why I've never used the "counting-to-three" method of reminding my kids to obey. I've seen situations where the child won't behave until their parent starts the countdown.

When I have wanted to change a habit with my kids, I will let them know and then follow through with an immediate consequence. For example, you could tell them, "Mom isn't going to yell anymore. I expect you to settle down as soon as I tell you to. If you don't, there will be a (time out, lose a privilege, forfeit a star from their chart, or whatever motivates your child)." Then, start giving instructions quietly and immediately follow with a consequence if they aren't followed.

That said, preschoolers are YOUNG and they can only be expected to sit still for a few minutes at a time . . . maybe five minutes for many kids. Before imposing consequences, we have to make sure we aren't asking our kids to do something they can't physically or emotionally accomplish yet. At these very young ages, I would probably offer lots of physical activity before expecting them to sit sill for a few minutes of lessons. Preschoolers learn through experiences, and they should only be doing formal school work for half an hour or so per day, split into ten or fifteen minutes increments.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Junior Member Newbie

My sweet Sarah likes reading colorful books. Have you tried that with them?

I have tried giving him books but they seem not to be interested in..

My son loves playing with toys that he can use his hands and be creative. Blocks are one of his favorites. If I really need him to be calm and quiet then I give short periods of playing educational games on his tablet.

Yes, I do agree because the children only keep silent when they are doing the activities that they are interested or their favorite activities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    How old are your boys? I have found that many kids are movers and shakers. They are busy and like to hear themselves talk. My 5-year-old daughter talks to her toys and walks in circles singing for a good portion of the day. Can you implement small periods of quiet? Maybe not silence, but soft talking? When my older kids were younger, we often played the quiet game.

One thing about our children: they want to be like us. Perhaps try using that to your advantage. If you're at work tell them you need them to be your assistant. I don't know what kind of work you do of course, but let's just say paperwork, in example, is something they see you doing a lot of. Print out some activity pages. Get them a 3 ring binder. Put them in there. Get them one of those cheap plastic file folders. Label them with color, numbers, letters, whatever you'd like. As they finish an activity page have them file it appropriately (ie: completed assignments that where used with mostly a blue crayon get filed under "Blue"). I'm also guessing that they're still fairly young?

The yelling: none of us are perfect, and it's okay. I've certainly caught myself doing it more than I'd like to admit. The important part is recognizing it and taking steps to change it. For my 3 & 4 year old if they don't listen, they get a time-out. For my 8 year old, she looses game time on her computer. It works pretty well. Make sure the time-outs/grounding isn't for a long time (I was once grounded for 6 months at the age of 12, looking back as an adult... that was beyond extreme!!!). I stick to the method of using their age: 3 minute time-out for the 3 year old, 4 minute time-out for the 4 year old, etc. and it works well for me. When time-out is done, we have a good hug and I give a friendly reminder of why they received a time-out. Then we're done and I don't harp on it any longer (let the past be the past if you will).