Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default My little boy has an IQ of 69 according to his IEP..

Hi everyone, my 8 year old son is in 2nd grade but has been in special education since last year. In his final IEP this school year, it stated that he had math and spelling disabilities as well as an IQ of 69. Does this IQ score mean that he is mildly mentally retarded? I wish I could homeschool him because I know he's not getting the best in school, especially with so many kids in his class. I know I need to do more with him at home, but it's tough when you're a single parent, working full time and also going to grad school. I've also got parents and others always willing to give me advice about the situation but not willing to step in and help out. It's very frustrating! I just wish I knew what to do to reach him and help him progress.

Alison

Alison,

Don't worry too much about his IQ score- many people with lower IQs do really well. Technically, an IQ of 69 or below falls into the "extremely low" category, but knowing one's full scale IQ doesn't provide one with the detailed information needed for academic planning. It's snapshot in time that often, but not always, is a good predictor of classroom performance. If I were you, if you haven't already done so, I'd ask the psychologist to go over all of his test scores with you and look at the individual sub-test IQ scores and what they reveal about your son's perception and cognition. For instance, if he was given the WISC IV he will have four subscores in the following areas: verbal comprehension, perceptual reasoning, working memory and processing speed. Many times kids with learning differences have one or two areas that they score very low in and some areas that they are nearer to average in. Hopefully he was also given a test such as the Woodcock Johnson, which is a great tool for finding out specifically which academic areas your son struggles in. There are 12 subtests usually administered.

The good news is that kids' brains are very "platic" and their IQs, with good intervention, can be increased. There is lots of brain research supporting such findings. My daughter's full scale IQ was found to be in the very low average range but she is, with accomodations, able to succeed in a regular classroom (she is homeschooled part time) and does all of the same assignments that the other kids do. We felt that we were in a similar situation to yours when she was in second grade. She's had a lot of one-on-one intervention since then (she's just finishing sixth grade now) including four years of educational therapy (you can visit www.discoveryprogram-inc.com and www.nild.net for more information and to find out if there's a program in your area). I'm almost certain that if she were retested today the number would be higher. If you do decide to homeschool, I recommend, based on my own experience, that you find out as much as you can about how your son's brain works and plan your teaching style and lessons/curriculum around that. For instance, does he learn best auditorily or visually? You'll probably need to do a lot of reading on the subject of learning differences (I did!). If he does stay at his school I hope that you are able to come up with an academic plan that you are happy with and that meets his needs. Large classrooms are NOT good for kids with special learning needs.

Hang in there- you are doing exactly the right thing by thinking and planning about his future.

Take care!