Struggling Community College Student
" "
    Junior Member Newbie

Default Struggling Community College Student

Hi. I am new to the forum. My son, 21, is struggling in community college. (Throughout, k-12, he was in special education courses) He wanted to get his AA in art, has passed his math college requirements already and does well in art but struggles with reading, writing and speaking. This is all related to his mod/ severe learning disability. He has MERLD- mixed expressive and receptive learning disability. I am interested in trying this program and maybe have him work in the high school or even lower level- middle school. Does anyone have any suggestions? How would I know which reading and writing level he is on?

Thanks for your input.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Struggling Community College Student

You could have him do each of the chapter tests first, and then only do the lessons in that chapter if he did poorly on the tests. If he does well on a test, he doesn't need to do the lessons in that chapter.

You might also consider Time4Writing, which is a separate site. The eight-week courses are taught by teachers who will give your student personalized feedback on each writing assignment.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Struggling Community College Student

Quote Originally Posted by Simon322 View Post
    Hi. I am new to the forum. My son, 21, is struggling in community college. (Throughout, k-12, he was in special education courses) He wanted to get his AA in art, has passed his math college requirements already and does well in art but struggles with reading, writing and speaking. This is all related to his mod/ severe learning disability. He has MERLD- mixed expressive and receptive learning disability. I am interested in trying this program and maybe have him work in the high school or even lower level- middle school. Does anyone have any suggestions? How would I know which reading and writing level he is on?

Thanks for your input.
    Hi I just joined and saw this. How is your son doing? I have years of experience working with special needstudents who attend community college. I'm sorry your son is struggling. I would be happy to help you and him get the help he may be legally entitled to get. I'll wait to hear from you to see if he still needs help.