+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deaf Homeschool

Unregistered

Default Deaf Homeschool

I am seeking for resources or advice. I have a Deaf son and he's 18 years old. I want my son to interact with other Deaf peers through American Sign Language while homeschooling. Is he eligible to be homeschooling at the age of 18? Can you please share which states that allowing to be homeschooled for the age of 18? Thank you.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Deaf Homeschool

Hi. This forum is made up of families who are using the Time4Learning online homeschool curriculum. Unfortunately, the lessons are not closed captioned. Each state has its own homeschool laws, and they are all very different. I believe IDEA and other laws intended to protect the rights of differently abled students would keep a state from disallowing homeschooling for a deaf student if they allowed it for typical kids. (And homeschooling is legal in all fifty states.)

My own state has a section of their homeschool laws that specifically refers to homeschooling kids with special needs.

The best place to find your own state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website. Some states allow you to homeschool and still take advantage of any "special ed" service (speech therapy and so forth) that your student would receive if he were to be enrolled in public school.

This is the case with my own son. I have withdrawn him from public school and he is "on the rolls" as a homeschooled student, but I am able to take him in to the school for 45 minutes twice a week to continue with his speech therapy, physical therapy, and occupational therapy.

Each state is different, and personnel at my son's school did not know he could continue with his therapy until I printed our laws and showed them, so do know and understand your own state's laws.

Good luck to you as you research the best options for your son!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!