Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do you use T4L in the summertime?

Blog Entries

Default How do you use T4L in the summertime?

Hi all!

We use T4L more in the summer than we do during the school year. My dd will use it during the school year when she is having trouble with an assignment that I can't seem to explain. (Darn that Math!!)

During the summer though, she uses it more frequently. This year, she ended the year a couple of grade levels ahead in Language Arts and right on level for Math. For her, this is great! ON LEVEL FOR MATH?!?! a child of mine?!

Thing is, we don't want her to lose it all over the summer. So this year we will be keeping her brain fresh with T4L math. I'm thrilled to have this for her to use and she likes the activities way more than a book or a worksheet.

So how do you use T4L in the summertime?

Kris
    --------------------------------------------------
    Time4Learning Member Support

Need help getting started? Check out our Getting Started Guide

Junior Member Newbie

Well, my kids go away for the summer to visit their father, as we live as a divorced family. The good thing about Time4Learning is that it is portable -- no books to bring. My kids can log on at their father's house and do a few lessons per week. I can check on things from here and talk to them over the phone, even when they are doing a lesson. I don't have to rely on their dad having to teach them, as he isn't a natural teacher and everyone ends up getting uptight.

Although divorce isn't cool, using Time4Learning when my kids are away from me is just fine.

We don't do a "full day" of school in the summer. We try to keep a similar schedule to my son's friends who are in public school. However, we do continue to do a bit of math each weekday (or most) throughout the summer to keep things fresh in his mind and to continue learning since this is a harder subject for him. We do not plan on using language arts, science, or social studies on T4L during the summer though.

I'm still planning on checking in on the message boards during the summer, and I will also use some extra time in the summer to plan ahead with our T4L use for the upcoming fall.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

Junior Member Newbie

Hi All,

We just started using this site in June and I LOVE it!! My 10 yr-old not quite so much...ha! But I have to say that we predominately use the Math part as that's what he needs the most help in. The rest we use on occassion when he needs a break from math. We are using it over the summer almost daily to keep him caught up in math as well as to give him some confidence that he can do math and understand it. (mainly fractions right now).

I don't have much else to add to what others have said other than....this site is great! Not sure how we will continue to use this in the fall, but I'm sure we'll find a way to incorporate it the curriculum. I really like the fact that I can track my son's progress on the site which is helpful when showing it to the home school facilitator who evaluates our progress.

Blog Entries

We school full time during the summer and take off Thanksgiving through New Years when it's nice out here in Florida! It's almost 9:45pm and I just had to kick my 8 year old son of his T4L'ing lesson so he would go to bed. This after using it for almost an entire year!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: How do you use T4L in the summertime?

Hi,

We decided to try T4L as summer school for our 7 yr old son . He attends public school and was struggling in first grade. Our ultimate hope is that he can catch up on 1st grade work and maybe by the end of summer be working on 2nd grade assignments to get a little ahead. He is a visual learner so it seems to take extra work for him to catch onto things.

We have used the program for a couple of weeks now and he seems to enjoy the lessons. He asks to do his homework, which is great. Also, part of his problems in school is daydreaming and the bright colored interactive cartoon characters keeps his interest. . Although I have had to have him repeat a few assignments his grades have increased the second time around.

The use of the playground time as an incentive completely works. He has enjoyed his on-line games for a few years now and this puts them all in one place. With so many to choose from his playground time goes by too fast (in his mind).

Our son's education is extremely important to us. Coming across T4L seems to be making a difference and at the minimal cost we are confindent in our decision to sign him up.

Gen
    Junior Member Newbie

I am thinking I would like to take the traditional summer off. Is there a way to suspend your account while doing that, or do you have to continue paying, or do you have to cancel and start back or what? It would be nice if you could suspend it like you can with Netflix...lol

Thanks, Heathstone Academny actually answered this for me in another thread. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by Gen; 05-27-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Junior Member Newbie

The language arts and math components are the areas my kids need the most help in. And these subjects seem very well covered by T4L. However, spelling and writing are also areas where they need to catch up, if not get ahead for next year. Has anyone used any resources within T4L that augment language arts with writing and spelling practice. If not, I was thinking about writing secret notes back and forth with my kids this summer, or asking them to write about their day at camp at the same time each day they would normally do homework. I'm new to this whole home schooling stuff (albeit summer schooling) and would love some feedback and ideas. Thanks!

Junior Member Newbie

I'd love to know that as well. This is the first year we've used it, and we really like it, but this summer we want to take off and relax. Hoping someone knows the answer to this! Being able to suspend it would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    I am thinking I would like to take the traditional summer off. Is there a way to suspend your account while doing that, or do you have to continue paying, or do you have to cancel and start back or what? It would be nice if you could suspend it like you can with Netflix...lol

Thanks, Heathstone Academny actually answered this for me in another thread. Thanks so much!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaffers2004 View Post
    I'd love to know that as well. This is the first year we've used it, and we really like it, but this summer we want to take off and relax. Hoping someone knows the answer to this! Being able to suspend it would be nice!
    Yes! You can go through your parent login and make your account dormant. I believe it's $4 a month, but in making it dormant, everything like your records, your child's progress, all of that stays so you don't lose anything over the summer months.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek, called Mama by two incredible boys.
    Accidental homeschoolers that are now entering their 10th year (2014-15) of homeschooling!

Visit me at You. Me. Us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast