Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Online Public School

Do you know if Tennessee offers free online public school??

Thanks, Cindy

Default Not that I know of.

I don't believe that the state of Tennessee does. But there are online curriculum companies (and academies) you can use if you homeschool in TN.

As far as I can tell the state does not. All I could find was information on private companies that offered what they call "free public school online". I have heard that there are states that do offer "online" or "in class" schools but I wasn't able to find out if Tennessee does. I might suggest that you check directly with the state to see if they have something that might fit your needs.
    If anyone knows differently please jump right in and let us know. Thanks so much.

Linda
    State Rep
    Board Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Right now, it is just www.e4tn.org
    This is the state solution for online classes. State certified teachers are teaching the high school courses. We are only allowed to have 'programs' in TN currently and not State Virtual Schools. So no there is no completely 'free' option just yet. (The LEA is paying for students though- they have a certain amt. of money for these courses/students... but it may depend on how many enrollments they are allowed to put in classes.) And no competition is in TN yet like k12.com or other options.
    As a homeschooler, if you decided you'd want to enroll your child in the 9-12 courses with this program (which is very good, I'd like to add)- you could call and find out more info. In TN we register with the local LEA anyway for high school, so you could call them and find out what option you have for enrolling your child into the e4tn online classes. They are usually anywhere from a 9 week course to an 18 week course... just depends. .5 credits are ususally 9 weeks long. I hope someone finds this helpful. It is an option, just one you might have to dig around more and ask questions from the right people in your local district.
    Last edited by DBalt; 03-14-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks for responding. Sometimes a thread goes a long time without and answer, and then all of a sudden, someone has an answer to the question!

Thanks,
    Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one child for four years with Time4Learning~!

Unregistered

Default Tnva

Their is now an online public school option that is tution free with all books included, etc. It just went into law July 1st so it's only for K-8 with hopes of 9-12 next year. It is offered through K12 | Online Public School, Online High School, Online Private School, Homeschooling, and Online Courses options This seems to be the only one yet but I heard Nashville might be offering one soon. You would register your child through Union County and unfortunately the deadline is July 24th, tomorrow. Maybe they would be willing to extend it before school started the
    6th for them for you though, not sure. Hope this helps.

I have looked at this option in another state, and from what I can tell, it is public school. If your intent in homeschooling is to do something different than public school, the free K-12 option is not different. If you are looking for a way to school your child at home, and are ok with public school curriculum, just not at the brick and mortor, this could be an option for you.
    Thanks so much for adding this information, we do appreciate any helpful comments. There is no telling which comment is going to make our journey easier!
    Linda
    Homeschooling on the internet, at the desk, on the sofa, in the car,
    and at Web-Home-School!

I went to the K12 information session in my area. The product itself is solid, but to get it free you must enroll your child as a public school student in Union County. This means you must log in hours daily following the Union County calendar and you must (short of a waiver) follow their vacination schedule. Your child would be expected to take the TCAP not at your local public school but at a location with other K12 students. This location may be as far as 50 miles from your home. You would no longer be your child's primary teacher instead your family would report to a teacher appointed to you by Union County. The teachers are on a 9 month contract, so your family would need to complete the material within the calendar school year. If none of this is a problem for your family, if you need this much structure and guidance, or if you really want to keep your kids at home and this is the only way you can afford to do it, then it may be a good option. I am in no way bashing this option and hope that it empowers families, who previously thought home education was beyond their ability for one reason or another but really had the desire to do so, to bring home their children. Actually, for a number of reasons, I will be keeping this option on the radar for my youngest.

Mandy

Thanks, Mandy, for chiming on this.
    This is the impression I got after checking with parents who had enrolled their children. This much structure and guidance is not what I am looking for, and I don't want the state in my business. But, as I've said before, there are as many reasons to homeschool as there are families doing it, so there may well be families who find this to be a great option for them. I also got the impression that because this option was public school, parents should no expect the same level of course work that is offered at the K12 private school online, even though the Connections academies indicate that they are related to K12 academies.
    If this looks like an option for your family, I strongly urge you to speak with these people directly.
    Linda
    Homeschooling on the internet, at the desk, on the sofa, in the car,
    and at Web-Home-School!

Unregistered

There is now an online public school as well. It's out of Bristol, TN. It's tennesseeonlinepublicschool.org. They seem to be doing a very good job with my oldest daughter. She's loving it!