Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Newbie

Default Texas Homeschool Requirements

Is There anyone in Texas who knows about the Texas Home school Requirements? I just started my 10 year old 5th grade son on this program and any bit of help and advice is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Edwardsdad

Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Texas Homeschool Requirements

Texas requires teaching reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and a study of good citizenship.

The Texas Homeschool Coalition has a website and the FAQ section has a lot of information. Here is the link...
    http://www.thsc.org/FAQ/default.asp#required.

Hope it helps!

Junior Member Newbie

I saw that, thank you. I suppose there is no exact requirement for the number of hours? tests? or assignments? That question still lingers. I've tried finding laws on home schooling in Texas but the coalition's website is all i have found.

edwardsdad

Junior Member Newbie

No exact requirement. Texas is the land of the FREE!

I recommend finding a local support group. Also, check out thehomescholar.com

Junior Member Newbie

disregard last post I understand perfectly, now has any one had their child tested in the Texas taks after homeschooling with t4L

Junior Member Newbie

Not aware of homeschoolers in Texas doing the TAKS. The Stanford Achievement Test is preferred due to the fact that it is a NATIONAL test, not a Texas Test (Texas does not have the best reputation for educating children, so why compare your student to Texas public schoolers?). You can get information about the Stanford Achievement Test through any local private school. You would need to sign up around February/March timeframe and take the test around April.

Junior Member Newbie

All that I was told was that I had to fill out and get the school to fill out a withdrawal forms. I was also told that it was a great idea to get the homeschool defense league on your side.
    ~Cherokee Starr~