Are AP Classes offered for college credit??
" "
    Junior Member Newbie

Default Are AP Classes offered for college credit??

Hi, My name is John. My child is super smart but has issues with social skills. For the last month she has sat alone during her public school lunch and it breaks my heart.

Anyway that's a whole other post.

I am thinking about home schooling her and Time4Learning seems very cool. My question is does this service offer AP level classes? I saw high school was new, and read this isn't a school just a curriculum program so there is no "graduating". What does that mean? Would she earn a high school transcript suitable for a university?

thank you for any information you can provide.

John

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are AP Classes offered for college credit??

Hi, John. All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. When homeschooling, the parent decides what the child must do to graduate from the family's home school. The parent decides how many credits in each subject the student needs, and what amount of work equals a credit. In addition to courses like the ones Time4Learning offers, it is common for parents to give credit for things like arts and crafts, music lessons, organized sports, part time jobs or volunteer work, 4H, Scouts, and casual parental instruction in things like auto mechanics or cooking.

Employers are required to treat a homeschool diploma the same as they treat any other diploma (as long as the student was homeschooled legally). Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students. Colleges are usually more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know.

When you homeschool, in addition to making the decisions, you are responsible for keeping records. You will need to print or have printed a diploma for your student, which you will sign. You will want to prepare a high school transcript. There is a template at Let's Homeschool High School.com . That is the best place to learn about homeschooling high school.

There is information about AP courses there, too.

I hope this helps you get started!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!