Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Common Core

Question Common Core

PLEASE tell me Time4Learning is NOT going to implement ANY aspect of "Common Core". This is one of the big reasons why I am homeschooling in the first place. It's a garbage program that dumbs down school. I forgot to ask this before...

Blog Entries

T4L has not changed anything to implement CC. The program correlates with state standards of which many do satisfy CC objectives.
    aorourke likes this.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

I am so glad to hear that. If you take a look at the new "textbooks" made for Common Core you'd see that there is no more memorizing multiplication tables, no more book reports, no more learning _anything_ in a logical, sensible manner and all the while injecting politics into the entire thing. It's a nightmare. I'm not exaggerating. The books are just starting to come out.

I hope that we parents would be informed of any curriculum change by T4L before it's implemented so we have time to find a replacement.

Thanks.
    aorourke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
    I am so glad to hear that. If you take a look at the new "textbooks" made for Common Core you'd see that there is no more memorizing multiplication tables, no more book reports, no more learning _anything_ in a logical, sensible manner and all the while injecting politics into the entire thing. It's a nightmare. I'm not exaggerating. The books are just starting to come out.

I hope that we parents would be informed of any curriculum change by T4L before it's implemented so we have time to find a replacement.

Thanks.
    I agree. I just decided to homeschool my son as well.
    Pashta likes this.

Glad to hear that, Diane, and welcome!

I am seeing ridiculous "strategies" in math that are absolutely COMMON CORE "new math"!! I am very upset over this and am now looking for another homeschool system. Common Core math is RIDICULOUS and doesn't work, if anything it is more confusing!

It was a nice program while it lasted. I won't be recommending it to anyone anymore.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi, Pashta. The newest math updates are several years old. When the math program was updated (which provided additional cartoon-y, animated lessons that my own kids enjoy), all of the old lessons were kept. The entire old math program for grades 4-6 can be found in the final chapter of the math curriculum. The thought was that it would be great for extra practice, but that "Practice" chapter is a year's math curriculum.

As a homeschooling mom myself, I'm interested in the specific math strategies you find objectionable. Thanks for helping me wade through some of these issues.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi, Pashta. The newest math updates are several years old. When the math program was updated (which provided additional cartoon-y, animated lessons that my own kids enjoy), all of the old lessons were kept. The entire old math program for grades 4-6 can be found in the final chapter of the math curriculum. The thought was that it would be great for extra practice, but that "Practice" chapter is a year's math curriculum.

As a homeschooling mom myself, I'm interested in the specific math strategies you find objectionable. Thanks for helping me wade through some of these issues.
    It is grade 2 and 4 that has these little videos that basically just waste time by showing kids how to expand numbers and add them that way instead of just doing the math normally. It is a Common Core "new math" way and it is stupid. Literally.

Instead of just adding 36 + 24 in a column like normal They say to use "strategies", turning the 36 into 30+6 and 24 into 20+4 then adding the tens and ones individually then adding them back together. It's a waste of time and confusing, not helpful! That is just one example.

It is absolutely one of the things I reject about Common Core and WHY I am homeschooling. Why would I homeschool just to get the same garbage here that they would get there?

Ugh I am so mad. Time4Learning definitely IS correlated written Common Core, even if not fully, and that is unacceptable to me.

Very sad.

Compass Learning is Explicitly Aligned with Common Core. I looked it up.
    Last edited by Pashta; 12-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's the way I do math "in my head", but I would agree that kids need to know the "regular" way on paper. Is that not taught at all? I'll go look at the lessons you mentioned. Most of my kids are older now, so they did the older math program.

You might want to take a look at those "practice" lessons. They are the complete "old" math curriculum, and can be used instead of all the newer lessons.

I would be interested in any other examples of material you find objectionable, in all subjects.

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Mom of six from age 9 to age 30. With Time4Learning since 2006!

I appreciate the goodwill but since most of your program, if not all of it, is Compass Odyssey Learning you can't really get away from Common Core unless you find another material provider. I doubt that will happen so I canceled my kids' subscriptions and they have ceased using Time4Learning.

Please be honest in the future and inform all prospective students that this IS a Common Core aligned program. Thanks anyway and farewell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast