Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

Default Seriouly considering both Kids. Dominican/Canadians

My Son is 4 years Old, I Am Canadian, My wife is Dominicana and we live in the Dominican Republic

I want to give my children the best opportunity and the public school system here is absolutely terrible ! Not an Option, The good Private schools are 25 miles from us, and no safe transport system other than dear old Dad. (Which still , you are only as safe as the other drivers on the highway)

My son was in pre-kindergarten since age 2 1/2 Which was in reality more like a daycare. This year I have been transporting him to school every day but the highways here are dangerous, we have to be at school for 7:45 classes so we are out the door at 6:45. And home at 1:00 (PM) Up at 5 AM.
    Its all a little much! I am a stay at home Dad and am "older" with lots of time on my hands. I am fully dedicated to my kids and my wife and we want to do whats best.

Being Canadian myself, my children , although born here in the Dominican Republic, are automatically Canadians. I want to eventually send them to Universities in Canada (Or America).

I have been studying T4L and it seems to fit my needs.

By the way, My 4 year old speaks Spanish, fully understands English but doesn't speak it fully. His classes are in ALL ENGLISH at the Private school. He is just more comfy in SPanish. When we converse , I speak to him in English but he usually responds in Spanish ! He counts in both languages, knows most of his alphabet in 2 languages and his colors and animals in both.

Any advise related to our particular situation, before we get started, would be appreciated !

Best regards

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear schools are poor where you live, but I totally understand that. Wow! The long drive combined with half-day classes and up very early is a bit tough on young kids, or anybody for that matter. I understand your need to homeschool for those reasons alone.

T4L is a great resource. Your child will have access to his lessons, the lessons a grade level above him, and the educational playground.

Here are some links to help you navigate your way around T4L a little easier.

Hints and Help

Getting Started with Time4Learning

You might want to check out this e-book. It was written by homeschooling families just for new homeschooling families. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming.

You might also want to check out a few of our sister sites: (they are free to use)

Vocabulary Spelling City

Vocabulary Fun

Learning Games for Kids

Best wishes!
    Last edited by jpenn; 03-18-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Hi jpenn, thank you for that , we have had our first day of classes.
    It went very well ! He really grasped the ideas of opposites.
    He is excited about today ! I hope have a meeting later this week or next week with a Support Group of Homeschoolers in Puerto Plata.
    I Will be certainly mentioning your services here.

Blog Entries

I am so happy your son enjoyed his first day of lessons! Let us know how the support group turns out...hope they are an active bunch with neat ideas and lots of encouragement.

Joyfully,
    Jackie
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

First week is complete !
    Justin enjoys it, And of Course Enjoys the Playground after each lesson !
    Today we printed off and colored the alphabet from another site as well !
    Sohe is getting the visuals and the hands on ...
    He has been "online" for about 1.5 years ! LOL So he is no stranger to the computer (At 4 years old!)

We are enjoying it and I get a great feeling of contributing...

Please add an "S" to the SERIOUSLY in the title of this thread !
    It keeps staring at me !

Blog Entries

Don't worry about the typo. I would change it if I could...sorry. Glad Justin is enjoying his work and of course, the playground.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

An internet pal of mine once told me that typos were like accents, everyone has one, and even if their accent is really bad, you can usually figure out what they are saying!
    So glad Justin is enjoying Time4Learning...if you are like most of us here, you will love it!
    Linda
    Homeschooling on the internet, at the desk, on the sofa, in the car,
    and at Web-Home-School!

Well We have now completed about 6 weeks. And I can honestly say that he has learned more in 5-6 weeks of T4L than he did in 7 months of Private schools and 1 Year of a lower end private daycare. He is blossoming and maturing and enjoys time with "Teacher Daddy" ! Just by the look on his face I know when he is getting it. Just by his reactions I know when he is excited about having understood. He runs around the house looking for shapes, and calls out letters on signs when we are driving somewhere. He is excited about learning ! The one on one attention assures his understanding the lesson, and if anything we have to pace ourselves not to do too much ! The graphics and animations are exemplatory and a far cry and more likely to prepare him for the future than coloring a letter once a week ! I am so happy that we made this decision and look forward to the future. This was So the right decision for him and for our family in general. We cannot wait to get or 5 month old on the program !

Justin's Dad,
    I very much know what you mean!! People always wonder how I know my child is learning...I just have to look at her, I can SEE her getting it! That is such a benefit for parents, they forget about seeing their child light up when learning, all they get is the report card at the end of a 9 week period. We have been using Time4Learning for over 5 years now, and I am still as thrilled with the program as I was the first week I saw my daughter surge forward in learning. We started in 2nd grade, and there was one day that she actually completed more than 27 lessons!! She was so happy to be learning at her own pace that after that I had to put a limit on lessons. I can tell you that that problem goes away after 5 years, the lessons are more complex and longer, and we average somewhere around 7-10 activities including quizzes and chapter tests.
    I am so glad that Time4Learning has been so wonderful for your son and that you are so happy with the program. You join a growing crowd of people who simply love this way of learning!!
    Happy Homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling on the internet, at the desk, on the sofa, in the car,
    and at Web-Home-School!