Will be starting soon, questions on how to proceed?
" "
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    mi
    Posts
    8

    Default Will be starting soon, questions on how to proceed?

    Hi, my name is Beth and I have a 14 year old 9th grader who will be starting homeschool within a few days most likely. She has always attended public school but since she started high school we have been having serious issues with anxiety. She is a big time over achiever, very sensitive, also her own soul (which I am very proud of!) She often says she gets bored in high school because she feels it is holding her back, she gets excellent grades and even does tons of extra credit to get the highest grade possible - which unfortunately often leads to burnout. We have now reached March and even though she only has 3 months to go she insists she cannot do it, cannot handle it, and needs to be homeschooled. I am okay with it, husband not so much but I think at this point letting her do this is the best option.

    So lots of questions, if anyone can help, thanks so much!

    - where should we start? Should I go with the 9th grade curriculum and have her do that throughout the summer to make sure she hasn't missed anything? Or should I just do nothing and let her choose what to learn for now, then in the fall start 10th grade?

    - the $30 dollar a month fee, is this the only fee for the basic curriculum? Are there hidden costs? I understand she can take other courses for additional fees, but we are on a real strict budget, so I'd rather just have the $30 for these courses then add things on our own that we can find for free.

    - I'm in Michigan, how many hours a day or week, or however they do this does she need to be in "school" How do I record that?

    - what if she needs help in a certain subject, like math? I am completely and totally useless when it comes to math, so I would be of no help to her. Does this program provide some kind of help with that? Is it an additional fee?

    - what is your typical school year, for most of you? Do you go longer or shorter than public schools, and do you continue learning throughout the summer or do take a break? How many breaks do you take per year? Do you follow the public school schedule, or set your own?

    - do most of you belong to a homeschool group? This is kind of a concern for me because the homeschool groups around us are all very religious based and we are not religious at all. Is it really necessary to belong to a "group"?

    - were your spouses supportive or critical? My husband in the past when we discussed this has said, "Well I'm against it, but I'll honor your decision" So it's kind of a half hearted thing with him which is annoying.

    So sorry for so many questions, I am just in a whirlwind mind frame right now, worried about my child, wanting to help her, but wanting not to make any mistakes either. I feel like for her this is a good decision, she is not your typical public school kid, she is very unique and I have no doubt she will thrive in this environment. It's just scary to think of starting something completely new.

    Thanks for any and all assistance you can give me!

  2. #2
    Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    6,305
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Will be starting soon, questions on how to proceed?

    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    Hi, my name is Beth and I have a 14 year old 9th grader who will be starting homeschool within a few days most likely. She has always attended public school but since she started high school we have been having serious issues with anxiety. She is a big time over achiever, very sensitive, also her own soul (which I am very proud of!) She often says she gets bored in high school because she feels it is holding her back, she gets excellent grades and even does tons of extra credit to get the highest grade possible - which unfortunately often leads to burnout. We have now reached March and even though she only has 3 months to go she insists she cannot do it, cannot handle it, and needs to be homeschooled. I am okay with it, husband not so much but I think at this point letting her do this is the best option.

    So lots of questions, if anyone can help, thanks so much!
    Hi, BethAnn! Welcome to the forum. There is such a thing as "deschooling", which is a coined phrase for taking some time off formal school to relax and recuperate before beginning a new journey as a homeschooler. You can find lots of anecdotal information about that if you search it. Don't mistake "deschooling" (a break) with "unschooling" (student-led learning).

    If your daughter is completely stressed out, you might both want to make sure you don't try to do "school at home" instead of "homeschool". It sounds like she might need a complete change. Here is some information about Homeschooling or School at Home.

    Another thing you need to know is that public schools do not have to accept non-public-school work for credit at the high school level. So, if you think she might be returning to public school at some point, you will want to keep great records to aid in negotiating. It is very easy to graduate from your family's own home school, since the parent decides what you must do to graduate. It can be tricky to mix homeschooling with public school, so my personal advice is to not homeschool during the high school years unless you are pretty sure you're in it until graduation. And make sure you know the difference between homeschooling (where the parent issues and stands behind a diploma) and enrollment in an online school (where the online school issues and stands behind the diploma). Time4Learning is used for homeschooling.

    All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. Employers are required to treat a homeschool diploma the same as any other diploma, if the student was homeschooled legally. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students. Homeschooled students are eligible for grants and loans for college just like any other high school graduate.

    The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com . Now, I will try to address each of your questions individually:[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    - where should we start? Should I go with the 9th grade curriculum and have her do that throughout the summer to make sure she hasn't missed anything? Or should I just do nothing and let her choose what to learn for now, then in the fall start 10th grade?
    You decide what you want her to do to graduate. All students will "miss something" during the course of their high school years. Topics are too broad for anyone to cover everything, and students usually have a choice of, for example, biology or chemistry. No one graduates having studied the same things at the same depth, so relax. You can customize a plan that takes her interests, abilities, and future plans into account. Search "high school graduation requirements" for several schools online to get an idea of what some schools expect and use that as a VERY general guide.

    YOU decide what equals a credit. I loosely decide 100 hours of study equals a credit for my own kids. In addition to the core Time4Learning subjects, you can give credit for arts and crafts (fine arts), piano lessons (music), organized sports (P.E.), 4H (home ec?), Scouts, educational DVDs, casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics, and many more. Maybe you want to just concentrate on some home ec and P.E. hours during the summer, to give her a chance to deschool. [/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    - the $30 dollar a month fee, is this the only fee for the basic curriculum? Are there hidden costs? I understand she can take other courses for additional fees, but we are on a real strict budget, so I'd rather just have the $30 for these courses then add things on our own that we can find for free.
    That's all for your choice of any four regular courses. There are no books or other materials to buy. If you want to use the new foreign language curriculum, Time4Learning recently contracted with Rosetta Stone to offer their language lessons to our members at a reduced price. Foreign language is a completely optional add-on, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    - I'm in Michigan, how many hours a day or week, or however they do this does she need to be in "school" How do I record that?
    Michigan does not require hours or days. It only says you must provide "an organized educational program covering the subject areas of reading, spelling, mathematics, science, history, civics, literature, writing, and English grammar." In states that specify subjects to be taught, you do not need to teach every subject every year. It also does not specify the scope or content of the subject. For example, to teach history you could teach American history or world history or just a certain time in history . . .


    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    - what if she needs help in a certain subject, like math? I am completely and totally useless when it comes to math, so I would be of no help to her. Does this program provide some kind of help with that? Is it an additional fee?
    When homeschooling, the parent is the teacher. That doesn't keep you from hiring or bartering with someone to tutor her in math. There are also sites online where you can type in a math problem and it will work it for you, step-by-step. Also, parents often ask here on our forum when they don't understand something they need to help their child with. I have learned a lot through 20 years of homeschooling my own kids! [/QUOTE]


    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    - what is your typical school year, for most of you? Do you go longer or shorter than public schools, and do you continue learning throughout the summer or do take a break? How many breaks do you take per year? Do you follow the public school schedule, or set your own?[/QUOTE}

    Every homeschool family will be different, and some have really creative schedules to coincide with a parent's night shift schedule or to work around a student's part time job. Some people don't have a schedule. They want their student to get a certain amount of work done, and they don't care when or where it gets done. In my family, we have accessed the public school calendar and "mostly" followed their schedule every year, including teacher work days off from school, because my kids have a lot of kids in public school and it was easier if they were on the same schedule.

    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    - do most of you belong to a homeschool group? This is kind of a concern for me because the homeschool groups around us are all very religious based and we are not religious at all. Is it really necessary to belong to a "group"?
    We do and, although it is religious-based, they didn't require that we sign any sort of statement of faith or anything. We get together every Friday for a field trip, social activity or parent-taught stand-alone class. It has been fun for my kids, but they have also made friends during their other activities and just hanging out at the pool, so it's not strictly necessary. You might enjoy exploring the Secular Homeschool site.


    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    - were your spouses supportive or critical? My husband in the past when we discussed this has said, "Well I'm against it, but I'll honor your decision" So it's kind of a half hearted thing with him which is annoying.
    I've been a single parent for the past six years but, to begin homeschooling twenty years ago, we agreed to try it for one year and it worked so well that we never looked back. Many moms would be really happy if their husbands were even half-heartedly on board with homeschooling.


    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    So sorry for so many questions, I am just in a whirlwind mind frame right now, worried about my child, wanting to help her, but wanting not to make any mistakes either. I feel like for her this is a good decision, she is not your typical public school kid, she is very unique and I have no doubt she will thrive in this environment. It's just scary to think of starting something completely new.


    Thanks for any and all assistance you can give me!
    I've typed a lot. I hope some of it will be helpful. Good luck customizing a program for your daughter's unique needs! That's what homeschooling is all about!

    Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    mi
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Will be starting soon, questions on how to proceed?

    Oh thank you soooooo much!!!! I am pretty sure she wants to be homeschooled from here on out, one of her main complaints is that she feels the school is holding her back from doing as much as she thinks she can. She is far ahead of the other kids in her school, even the advanced classes, so part of the problem is boredom, part is anxiety. I don't want her to burn out so I will need to gently apply some breaks to keep this from happening. I like the idea of giving her some down time before beginning, I think she needs it. I did call the school and they were of course trying to convince me that she should stay but I don't think this is going to change and am concerned that if we keep her in public school the situation could be made even worse.

    Thanks again, you were a treasure trove of info!!!

    Beth

    PS I definitely want to do Homeschool vs school at home, previously I did look into the online public school and I just felt off about it, I think I like the freedom that homeschool will provide and I think she will too.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Will be starting soon, questions on how to proceed?

    Kelly has such a wealth of information! She's terrific!

    I wanted to also welcome you to the group! Your daughter will love the flexibility of homeschooling -- allowing her to move ahead at her own pace vs. feeling thwarted and left behind.

    This article may offer you some additional tips to help:

    4 Ways to Manage a Midyear Homeschool Transition


  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    mi
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Will be starting soon, questions on how to proceed?

    Thank you so much for the warm welcome! yes, she told me last, in a state of wonder, "Mom, I have nothing to stress about anymore!" Felt so good to hear her say that!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ510 View Post
    Kelly has such a wealth of information! She's terrific!

    I wanted to also welcome you to the group! Your daughter will love the flexibility of homeschooling -- allowing her to move ahead at her own pace vs. feeling thwarted and left behind.

    This article may offer you some additional tips to help:

    4 Ways to Manage a Midyear Homeschool Transition

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Will be starting soon, questions on how to proceed?

    Quote Originally Posted by BethAnnFair View Post
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome! yes, she told me last, in a state of wonder, "Mom, I have nothing to stress about anymore!" Felt so good to hear her say that!!!!
    That's awesome! Another idea my kids love mixing in from time to time: If you are able take some time out together to dive into one of her interests in a way she would not have been able to do within a traditional classroom. For example -- if she loves horses, maybe find a unit study to do and then go visit a stable to interview the various people working there.

    OR -- is she excited about the new Beauty and the Beast movie in theaters? My girls (7 - 16) loved seeing it yesterday courtesy of a big brother. HomeschoolLiterature.com has pulled together several educational activities via the link below (good for a variety of ages and interests) -- all with a Beauty and the Beast theme!

    Click here: Beauty and the Beast inspired teaching resources!

    Please continue to check in and share how things are going, ask questions and join discussions!

    Take care!

    ~Missy

  7. #7
    Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Al
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Will be starting soon, questions on how to proceed?

    I am happy that you find the ways to solve your problems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •