Parent Community & Forum

Parents! Chat about kids, education, parenting, homeschooling and more.

+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Default Local events~used book/curriculum sales,conventions,etc

This thread is for any and everything homeschool related in VA! I am going to post things as I find them and I want you to do the same Anything like book sales,conventions, book clubs for kids or adults, monthly/weekly clubs or park days. So come on start sharing I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Blog Entries

The GRHE used book sale is this Friday! Come and shop to find your curriculum for next year. GRHE offers the used book sale as a service to the local homeschooling community. Our goal is to provide an avenue for homeschoolers to find a wide variety of used homeschool materials at used book sale prices.

Friday, June 3rd
    Sovereign Grace Community Church
    7300 Williamson Road
    Roanoke, VA 24019
    9:00-12:00 noon
    pandahoneybee

Blog Entries

Hello all!
    There has been some confusion about the Chemistry class for next year, so let me clarify if I may. My husband and I will be taking over for Mrs. Russell, and we plan to run the class the same way she did, at least for the first year. Here is our listing in the GRHE brochure:
    HIGH SCHOOL CHEMISTRY

Teacher Diane and Eric Rice Dates: Mondays beginning September 10th.
    Time: 3:15-6:15
    Place:Calvary Memorial Church
    Tuition: $520 for the year and lab fee of $40. Tuition can be paid in 8 monthly installments of $65.
    Materials needed:
    Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 2nd edition and Solutions and Tests for Exploring Creating with Chemistry, 2nd Edition
    Contact information:
    540-772-2295
    Prinzenfrau@yahoo.com

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
    Diane
    pandahoneybee

Blog Entries

Jamestown Settlement and the Yorktown Victory Center Homeschool Program

At Jamestown Settlement and the Yorktown Victory Center, your homeschool students will love discovering the sights and sounds of the 17th and 18th centuries while learning about their nation’s history. And you will love the variety of curriculum-based education programs offered for a range of grade levels – all taught by trained museum educators.
    When: September 10-25, 2011
    Students can enroll in one of three programs at each museum, according to grade level, and families can register for an interactive, two-hour guided tour at each museum. Each ticketholder is entitled to one hands-on program and one family tour at each museum.
    Jamestown Settlement

Family Guided Tour
    Visit re-creations of a Powhatan Indian village and James Fort, replica 1607 ships, and a riverfront discovery area on this 2-hour hands-on tour guided by a trained museum educator.
    Tour dates: September 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23
    Tour times: 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

Preschool – Kindergarten – Little Powhatans
    Through simple and fun hands-on activities, students identify ways the Powhatan Indians met their basic needs for food, shelter and clothing using natural resources. They will also hear a Powhatan Indian story, and compare Powhatan Indian life to life today.
    Program dates: September 13,16, 20 and 23
    Program time: 10:45 a.m.

Grades 1-2 – Powhatan Indian World
    Students handle and analyze clothing, bone tools and pottery of the Powhatan Indian culture.
    Program dates: September 13, 14, 16, 20, 21 and 23
    Program times: 9:30 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.

Grades 3-6 - Cultures at Jamestown
    Students compare and contrast the Powhatan Indian, English and African cultures that came into contact during the 17th century.

Grades 7-12 - Voyage to Virginia
    Students learn about the 1607 voyage to Virginia by exploring period navigational tools.
    Program times: 10:45 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.

Yorktown Victory Center

Family Guided Tour
    Visit the re-created Continental Army encampment and 1780s farm on this 2-hour hands-on tour guided by a trained museum educator.
    Tour dates: September 12, 14, 15, 19, 21 and 22
    Tour times: 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

Preschool – Kindergarten – Little Farmers
    Children will learn about life as a child on a farm in the eighteenth century. Through hands-on activities, they will learn about their clothing, their chores, and their stories and games. Throughout the program they will compare life for an eighteenth century child to their lives today.
    Program dates: September 12, 15, 19 and 22
    Program times: 10:45 a.m.

Grades 1-2 - Colonial Life
    Students examine tools and materials used on a small Virginia farm to explore life of a typical Tidewater farming family.
    Program dates: September 12, 14, 15, 19, 21 and 22

Grades 3-6 - Revolutionary Virginia
    Students analyze primary sources and reproduction artifacts to learn about lives
    of ordinary 18th-century Virginians.

Grades 7-12 - Life of a Private
    Students explore a Continental soldier’s haversack, clothing and weapons to relate to the experiences of people during the American Revolution.
    Program times: Program times: 10:45 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.
    pandahoneybee

Blog Entries

Up Close and Personal—The 18th Century

Colonial Williamsburg

When: September 11–26, 2011
    Students will learn about representative government at the Capitol, and then see the jail where Virginia’s lawbreakers were kept. Through dynamic and interactive street theater presentations, families will learn the trials and triumphs of the colonists as they marched down the road to independence. At Great Hopes Plantation, students will visit a typical rural farm and have hands-on lessons about crops. Meet the breeds of pigs, chickens, and sheep that would have commonly been found on an 18th-century farm. History comes alive in Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Area like nowhere else. Join us for our fifth year of Homeschooler days!

Contact : For more information call 1-800-280-8039 Special Events for Homeschoolers : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History Site
    pandahoneybee

Blog Entries

2011 HOMESCHOOL DAY AT THE STATE FAIR

Sponsored by Home Educators Association of Virginia!
    Thanks to HEAV's partnership with the State Fair, you and your family can visit the State Fair at a specially reduced price on Homeschool Day!
    When: Friday, September 30, 2011
    Where: Meadow Event Park off 1-95 Exit 98, next to Kings Dominion www.statefairva.org
    Contact : For ALL questions, please call the HEAV office at 804-278-9200. Virginia Homeschool | VA State Fair
    pandahoneybee

Blog Entries

Title: Play at Longwood Park Date: Monday August 29, 2011 Time: 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm Repeats: This event repeats every week. Location: Longwood Park, Salem VA Street: 601 East Main St. City State Zip: Salem, VA 24153 Notes: We'll meet at Longwood Park in Salem at 3pm. Usually we gather under the trees, either on a quilt or at the picnic table while the kids romp about.
    Longwood is located at 601 E. Main St. in Salem, near the intersection of Main St. and Thompson Memorial Ave. If you're coming off of 1-81, exit 140 puts you out on Thompson Memorial. The park is VERY easy to find!
    Should the weather be incliment (rainy, snowy, or under 40 degrees), we'll meet at the indoor playground at Burger King on West Main St. This is located directly across from the Duck Pond. Also very easy to find.
    This is an all-inclusive meetup, all are welcome!!
    pandahoneybee