Analysis of Alabama Homeschooling Law
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Analysis of Alabama Homeschooling Law

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Analysis of Alabama Homeschooling Law

Analysis of Alabama Homeschooling Laws

Please note: These laws, as printed on the link, above are posted by Home School Legal Defense Association. Keep in mind that these laws are subject to change and you should be vigilant in knowing the changes as they occur.

Furthermore, if you are concerned about a legal aspect of homeschooling and want legal advice and protection, please consult an association, (such as HSLDA) which is a firm of attorneys and other support persons who specialize in the homeschooling laws.

Kellyandkids Guest

Default Kindergarten laws

I understand that under current law, students aren't required to be schooled until age 7. (Which may soon become six, but I hope not.) I have a son who will not turn 5 until mid Sept, just past the Sept. 2 age cut-off for attending kindergarten. However I feel he is ready and I have already been interested in homeschooling for quite some time. With that said, could I homeschool him in kindergarten this upcoming year, but skip all the legal stuff because he is not required to be schooled yet? I understand I would have to stick with it at least two years to put him in 2nd grade at age 6 (almost 7), at least where I live in SE Alabama.

I am not trying to be sneaky and do anything the wrong way if I do start homeschooling this fall. However, if I could go without registering with a group, and be without the extra worry of documenting everything perfectly, then I will surely avoid it. Or if I fail miserably, I can resort to putting him in public school next year, as the system expects, with no extra hassles.

This site has been a blessing, thank you!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,
    We are glad to have you. Time4Learning has been more than just a forum I moderate. I pulled my child out mid-1st grade to homeschool, even though I didn't want to. Now I would not have it any other way. T4L helped me in so many ways, and made it possible for me to overcome my misgivings about homeschooling and my child is thriving. So, I agree with your assessment that this site is a blessing!
    Now, If your child misses the cut off date to register, then he is technically too young. Anything you do until he is 7 is stuff you are doing on your own, since they do not require that he officially enter the system until 7yrs. And since they don't require that he enter the system until 7 then I would think that also means that you do not have to be under an umbrella school until then either.
    The concern I have is this: suppose your son does well in kindergarten stuff, and progresses to 1st grade stuff, even though he is only 5-6, and then he progresses to 2nd grade stuff when he is 6. He would be doing 2nd grade work, but would public school admit him as a 2nd grader at 7yrs old? Or are they going to stick him in 1st grade? I don't know how that will work, and it would be terrible to make him repeat work just because his age and grade don't match up to what the state thinks it should be. Now if you are considering continuing homeschooling after he turns 7, then this is less of a problem, but if you are intending to put him in public school, it might be more problematic.
    The umbrella schools or cover schools are more experienced with this short of stuf and you might see if you could speak to someone at one of them, just to get another opinion on this. They are used to dealing with the intricacies of dealing with the the red tape, so they might have some good suggestions regarding documentation. This might be important if you tried to get him in 2nd grade when he enters the system.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and hopefully we can get an answer for you!!
    Again, welcome!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Alabama law

I am so confused and trying to help out a family member. I have lived in 2 different states and both allow parents to teach their kids at home. In GA we are doing a free online virtual, public school. Can "regular" parents homeschool their kids in AL or do you have to have a cert. tutor or be affiliated with a church to homeschool?
    Thanks~

Unregistered Guest

Default Wanting to Homeschool

My husband and I have been together for 4 years. We don't have children yet, but when we do, I want to Homeschool them. I live in a small town called Jasper in Central Alabama. Everything I've ever been able to find on Homeschooling says that I am required to hire a private tutor, or send my children to a private Homeschool setting with a Christian-based curriculum (which my husband is strongly against).

I want to be able to teach my children in our own home, and I want to teach them myself. I do not have a degree in teaching and am unsure if I even need one. Can you offer any clarity here?

Ok Ladies,
    Hi, let me see if I can clarify some of your concerns. I need to say, first of all, that Alabama does not have a law to homeschool. Before you let that bother you, all homeschooling in Alabama is accomplished either under an umbrella school, or by private tutor. Almost everyone I've ever heard of uses the umbrella school, or as the Alabama law states, the church school option. Now, this doesn't mean that you have to be religious, or that your homeschool must be deeply infused with religious studies. It is just a way to allow homeschooling according to the Alabama law. There are many umbrella/church schools that allow you to choose your own curriculum, and do not require a statement of faith. Your religious beliefs or lack there of do not really figure into your ability to homeschool in Alabama. You do not need a teaching certificate. If you can find a good cover school, then they will take care of reporting to the state. They can be really inexpensive, ,or they can be quite costly, you just have to look for the right one. Try an internet search for Alabama umbrella school. I hope that cleard up some of your concerns. Please feel free to ask any questions you have, or about further clarification. Good luck!
    Linda

kmba Guest

Default Tutor ??

How do go about finding a tutor to homeschool a child and is it very costly ?

You might check with the local school, or the local university and see if you can find a tutor there. I don't actually know anyone who utilizes that aspect of the homeschooling law in Alabama. You could also check with your local homeschool group and see if anyone there is willing or qualified to tutor. The thing about the tutor is that he or she has to be certified in Alabama to teach. For that reason, most parents choose to homeschool their own children under the cover of a church school, or umbrella school. Music tutors (the only ones I have experience with lately) are $45 to $75 an hour, but that doesn mean that would be the cost of a tutor to homeschool a child.
    missmcneal1 likes this.
    Linda

Leilari is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello! We are neighbors! I do not have a tutor and I do not use a Christian-based curriculum. If I can further assist you, just let me know. I have just started homeschooling and love it!
    ~Peace and blessings unto you~
    Leila

Bluejode143 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    Hi Kelly,
    We are glad to have you. Time4Learning has been more than just a forum I moderate. I pulled my child out mid-1st grade to homeschool, even though I didn't want to. Now I would not have it any other way. T4L helped me in so many ways, and made it possible for me to overcome my misgivings about homeschooling and my child is thriving. So, I agree with your assessment that this site is a blessing!
    Now, If your child misses the cut off date to register, then he is technically too young. Anything you do until he is 7 is stuff you are doing on your own, since they do not require that he officially enter the system until 7yrs. And since they don't require that he enter the system until 7 then I would think that also means that you do not have to be under an umbrella school until then either.
    The concern I have is this: suppose your son does well in kindergarten stuff, and progresses to 1st grade stuff, even though he is only 5-6, and then he progresses to 2nd grade stuff when he is 6. He would be doing 2nd grade work, but would public school admit him as a 2nd grader at 7yrs old? Or are they going to stick him in 1st grade? I don't know how that will work, and it would be terrible to make him repeat work just because his age and grade don't match up to what the state thinks it should be. Now if you are considering continuing homeschooling after he turns 7, then this is less of a problem, but if you are intending to put him in public school, it might be more problematic.
    The umbrella schools or cover schools are more experienced with this short of stuf and you might see if you could speak to someone at one of them, just to get another opinion on this. They are used to dealing with the intricacies of dealing with the the red tape, so they might have some good suggestions regarding documentation. This might be important if you tried to get him in 2nd grade when he enters the system.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and hopefully we can get an answer for you!!
    Again, welcome!
    My son will be 7 in December. we have homeschooled through Kindergarten and first. He is doing mostly 2nd now. Do I need a cover school at the start of this year or mid, since he won't be 7 until December? I have always kept records, just not wanted to use the monies for a cover school if not needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast