Help need to get my kids out of these schools

Thread: Help need to get my kids out of these schools

Unregistered Guest

Default Help need to get my kids out of these schools

We live in a very rural area my 11 year old autistic son was "restrained" and was hurt by 2 grown men one being over 450 lbs. They never told us or called about this and when we confronted them about it they tried to turn it around on us. the city is in a district but operates as its own district so we cant switch schools. Our options are to move or home school. We have chose to home school but cant seem to find out just how to do this . We have more than one child and they span from 1st to high school Any help? please we have been online for hours and cant get any answers

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Homeschooling, Curriculum, Home School Laws, Programs, Friends | A2Z Homeschooling | A2Z Home's Cool – Homeschooling from A to Zis a great place to find out information about homeschooling. In Alabama, the most popular option is the "church school" or umbrella school option in which you, the homeschooler, report to a church or cover school, and they interface with the department of education and the superintendents of the local schools to ensure that you are homeschooling legally. You can find a list of these online by entering something like "cover schools in Alabama" in a search engine. I'm sorry that you have had such an awful experience with public school and I have to agree that homeschooling might be a great option for your family. If you check the "helpful resources" tab at the top of this page you will see a Welcome to Homeschooling Guide which might provide some helpful information for you. Feel free to post again if you have other questions. Best of luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Red face i can get you the help you need if you live in baldwin county alabama!

We too went throught this very same ordeal when my son was in the 2nd grade. We got an attorney and sued the school for the rights to provide an equal education for our child based on the disabilities act. We won our case and the school system had to provide us with what ever my child needed to get through a school day like any other child. They provided an IEP which stated he had an opare with him provided by the school during school hrs at all times. They provided special arrangements for quiet time, lunch request, test taking, writing skills, etc..... He graduated the Sixth Grade with Honors and A presidential award in education excellence. We could not of been happier. I have chosen to home school him through the middle school years simply because the middle school is comprised of students from all over the county and is full of bullies, violence, ramped sex, and vulger language.
    He has not been exposed to this type of enviroment. I as his parent choose when and what i want him to learn about the world. I dont want another child teaching it to my child. So that is why we chose to homeschool. He's doing fantastic with it and has advance in many areas. It gives him the freedom to be himself without all the disruptions.So if you would like some information maybe i can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We live in a very rural area my 11 year old autistic son was "restrained" and was hurt by 2 grown men one being over 450 lbs. They never told us or called about this and when we confronted them about it they tried to turn it around on us. the city is in a district but operates as its own district so we cant switch schools. Our options are to move or home school. We have chose to home school but cant seem to find out just how to do this . We have more than one child and they span from 1st to high school Any help? please we have been online for hours and cant get any answers
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.

Unregistered Guest

Default Looking for a socialization group in Autaugua County

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I understand that there are groups of home schoolers who meet for socialization skills learning in Alabama. Could you tell me where? I am in Autaugua County.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

I used Google to search for homeschool support groups in Autaugua County and found this:
    Alabama Homeschool Support Groups | A2Z Homeschooling

Also, this Time4Learning link on Information on homeschooling in Alabama may be helpful.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

ShawnaLynn Guest

The counselor at your children's school should be able to help find a good homeschooling site. We live in Randolph county and they gave me a list with a good bit of accredited school.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. ShawnaLynn's advice is great if you are interested in withdrawing your child from public school and enrolling him or her in another school choice (online or otherwise).

Online schools and other accredited schools are not homeschooling, however, because a third party is directing the student's education. The third party must follow the school laws in the school's state, which certainly much longer and generally much more restrictive than homeschool laws. The third party will choose your child's curriculum and will determine the pace at which your child must work.

It is common for people to mistakenly refer to enrollment in an online school as "homeschooling", but that is an error. In homeschooling, the parent directs the student's education. The parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence. Homeschool laws are generally designed to assure that the student is actually learning, and not to dictate how you must teach. Virtually no state tells you what curriculum you must use (although a very few want you to tell them what you are using).

Time4Learning is not an online school. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum, so the parent is the teacher of record and directs the student's education. We do encourage you to follow the homeschool laws in your state, but we do not oversee that. We allow anyone to sign up at any time.

You should be able to simply withdraw the child from school without giving any information about your future intentions (although you may later wish to obtain a copy of the child's school records for yourself).

Alabama is one of very few states that does not have a homeschool law. If you wish to homeschool in Alabama, you have to set yourself up as a private school.

Homeschooling as a private school:
    A private school is established, conducted, and supported by a nongovernmental entity or agency offering educational instruction in grades K–12 or any combination thereof, including preschool, through onsite or home programs. A home may be the location where a child receives instruction as a student attending a private school. A parent may establish a private school in the home.

1. Register the private school.

An Alabama statute requires private schools to register every year by October 10 with the Alabama Department of Education on a state form. The Registration form includes providing school statistics such as the number of instructors and enrolled students, student attendance, course of study, length of term, cost of tuition, funds, value of property, and the general condition of the private school.
    2. Comply with private school reporting requirements.

Five days after the start of public school, the private school must report to the county or city superintendent the names and addresses of all school-age children enrolled in the school. Thereafter, on a weekly basis, the private school must report the names and addresses of all school-age children (1) who enroll in the school, or (2) who are absent without a lawful excuse. Private schools must furnish any other reports required by the state superintendent of education or reports required by the county or city superintendent relating to the school attendance laws. Private school enrollment and absence reporting forms are available here.

3. Keep an attendance register.

The principal teacher of the private school must keep an attendance register for every school day of the year.

4. Obtain proof of immunization.

Private schools must require their students to show proof of immunization, or medical or religious exemptions from immunization.

5. Teach Physical Education.

Carry out a program of physical education similar to what is taught in public schools.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!