Hi Everyone,

Thread: Hi Everyone,

kmba Guest

Default Hi Everyone,

I am new to homeschooling. After bad experiences with teachers and students in the catholic school system I decided to pull my child out. I am excited about this venture, however I am nervous to. I want to make sure my child continues to succeed in school. He has always been an exceptional student with a quest for learning. I am hoping that this online program will help us fill in the gap until we get a routine going. I have prayed over the situation and feel like this is the best thing for us at this time.
    I am looking to make new friends and hopefully get advice. Hope everyone have a nice holiday season.
    God Bless!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Kmba,
    We are glad to have you here. Time4Learning can help you fill in the gaps, but don't think of it only as a place holder. T4L is a curriculum based on state standards, and you will find that it does cover all of the information suggested for the subjects of math, social studies, science and language arts that your child needs for a healty core curriculum. You may find that you want to suppliment, but if you are new to homeschooling, it is great to have a curriculum that plans the lessons for you and keeps great records. Being able to sort reports in many different ways means that you can pull just records for science, or all of your son's records, according to time periods.
    I remember when we first started homeschooling, the things I worried most about was skipping something inportant, planning lessons, and keeping records. T4L made it possible for me to focus on my child, and on being a teacher, not on the paperwork behind the scenes.
    Beginning homeschool is an exciting and wonderful experience that can be terrifying ( ) but relax and enjoy the journey. One other thing to mention...your son may need a little decompression time from the way he learned in school to the way he will be learning in homeschool. Go easy on him and on yourself as you get started.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

kmba Guest

Default New Year....New Beginnings

Hi MamaToHerRoo,
    Thanks for your advice. I want your advice please but first I would like to know how long have you homeschooled you child(ren)?
    I have been considering Calvert Homeschool Program vs. this one! Being new to this venture I need structure.
    Time4Learning seems to be awesome but we just started this about a month ago when I posted the first thread.
    Do you feel this program can be sufficient for us as new homeschoolers vs. another that is more expensive? I am concerned about accredidation also. Is that a big issue with homeschoolers when they return back to the normal school setting? What will happen if my child returns to regular school next year in the fall? We will be relocating over the summer to Ga due to my husband's job and I may decide to place him back in regular school if he desires,
    if not I will continue to homeschool him. I only want what's best for him as all mother's do for their children.
    thank you kindly and may god bless you!!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We have officially been homeschooling since January of 2007, but we actually started Time4Learning at Thanksgiving of 2006, so we have been at it for 5 years now! I can't tell you about Calvert, but I can tell you that Time4Learning is a curriculum, not a school. Curriculum cannot be accredited only schools can. In the state of Alabama you will need to be under an umbrella school or church school. The vast majority of those are not accredited either. I can tell you that price of curriculum does not necessarily mean it is better, or that paying more will assure success. Time4Learning works well for us, but may or may not work well for you. In returning to public school, the only experience I have with this would be things I have heard from people who have returned to school. For the few I knew that were Time4Learning, then returned to school, their students were easily even with the public school curriculum, and some were even ahead. If it means anything, I can tell you that Time4Learning offers more material than my local public school system would cover in a year.
    I'm not sure I answered your concerns, but if I didn't...feel free to write back!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!