Homeschoolers at Harvard?
    five_blessed is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Homeschoolers at Harvard?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/TONYAN%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]

Universities and colleges across the nation are recognizing now more than ever, the number of homeschool families in the United States. And those numbers are greatly increasing year to year.

Certainly, many of the prestigious colleges are not only interested in home schooled students, they actually seek them out! Jon Reider, a Stanford University admissions officer, stated, "Homeschoolers bring certain skills - motivation, curiosity, the capacity to be responsible for their education - that high schools don't induce very well." That just makes my heart flutter with pride! Homeschooled students can also qualify for scholarships and government loans.

Parents need to be very careful in maintaining accurate records at the beginning of the high school years. Keep transcripts current and know what will be required by colleges for the admission process. The earlier you begin, the easier it will be!

I'm seeking out parents with questions or comments regarding record-keeping in the high school years, or maybe want to know the basics that are required by colleges for admission. Maybe you've already been through the process of getting a homeschooled student admitted to college. How did it go? Were there shaky bridges to cross or was it smooth sailing? Please share your experience!

Let me add one thing here! You come. You read. You leave! Please leave a "foot print" so that I know who you are. A simple "thanks", a word of encouragement, a suggestion, a question.......just anything! Just click on the "Reply" button. You may never know how your input might help me or another reader!
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

mommyofmy3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Helpful

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for this post. I know that it is an older post however, it was very informative and reassuring for my family as my husband and I were just discussing this. We are new to homeschooling and wanted a little more background surrounding the subject of college. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by five_blessed View Post
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/TONYAN%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]

Universities and colleges across the nation are recognizing now more than ever, the number of homeschool families in the United States. And those numbers are greatly increasing year to year.

Certainly, many of the prestigious colleges are not only interested in home schooled students, they actually seek them out! Jon Reider, a Stanford University admissions officer, stated, "Homeschoolers bring certain skills - motivation, curiosity, the capacity to be responsible for their education - that high schools don't induce very well." That just makes my heart flutter with pride! Homeschooled students can also qualify for scholarships and government loans.

Parents need to be very careful in maintaining accurate records at the beginning of the high school years. Keep transcripts current and know what will be required by colleges for the admission process. The earlier you begin, the easier it will be!

I'm seeking out parents with questions or comments regarding record-keeping in the high school years, or maybe want to know the basics that are required by colleges for admission. Maybe you've already been through the process of getting a homeschooled student admitted to college. How did it go? Were there shaky bridges to cross or was it smooth sailing? Please share your experience!

Let me add one thing here! You come. You read. You leave! Please leave a "foot print" so that I know who you are. A simple "thanks", a word of encouragement, a suggestion, a question.......just anything! Just click on the "Reply" button. You may never know how your input might help me or another reader!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Rhonda thank you for responding, and welcome to homeschooling and Time4Learning. Many of the universities now are looking favorably at homeschool students. Not only are universities recruiting homeschool students, but the military also looks favorably at homeschool students. Things are certainly changing regarding how people look at homeschool students. It is an exciting time to homeschool!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default I am home schooling by 15 yr old grandson for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyofmy3 View Post
    Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for this post. I know that it is an older post however, it was very informative and reassuring for my family as my husband and I were just discussing this. We are new to homeschooling and wanted a little more background surrounding the subject of college. Thanks again!
    T
    I am homeschooling my grandson for the first time. We thought long and hard about the pros and cons. The pros greatly outweighted the few cons.My questions were many. But where to go for answers? I found forums to be one of the best venues for these answers. Parents, professionals in law and education, and many others interested in this subject can and do share their experiences with others.Kudos to all home schoolers everywhere. !

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for posting. It is important that as homeschoolers we stick together, share our triumphs, and warn of any pitfalls we might run across. Every new homeschooler should be able to benefit from our experiences and not have to reinvent the wheel. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, or tell us about any success you experience. Happy homeshooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!