How to get started..
    Krystal Guest

Question How to get started..

Please tell me the steps to starting home schooling for my 1st grader...

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Krystal,
    Welcome to Time4Learning! You might start by reading the Welcome to Homeschooling Guide.
    In Alabama, you will need to register with a church (cover or umbrella) school. You can find many of these if you put in Alabama cover schools in your search engine.
    As for where to start in this curriculum try starting at the beginning of 1st grade. If this is too easy then let your child skip through until it gets a little more challenging. When you sign up for a 1st grade, you will have access to kindergarten and 2nd grade also, so if your child needs kindergarten reading, but 2nd grade math, (or the other way around!) you can use the grade level that best suits your child's needs.
    I hope that helps a little bit. If you have more questions please feel free to ask!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Getting started

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    Krystal,
    Welcome to Time4Learning! You might start by reading the Welcome to Homeschooling Guide.
    In Alabama, you will need to register with a church (cover or umbrella) school. You can find many of these if you put in Alabama cover schools in your search engine.
    As for where to start in this curriculum try starting at the beginning of 1st grade. If this is too easy then let your child skip through until it gets a little more challenging. When you sign up for a 1st grade, you will have access to kindergarten and 2nd grade also, so if your child needs kindergarten reading, but 2nd grade math, (or the other way around!) you can use the grade level that best suits your child's needs.
    I hope that helps a little bit. If you have more questions please feel free to ask!!
    I need help,what do i need to have to take them out of public school and homeschool them instead.And also can you help me in telling me where do i start from.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    You will need to find a cover school or umbrella school, or church school. In Alabama you must homeschool under one of those three names. The easiest way to find one of those is to do an internet search.
    Here is a place to start looking, but that is by no means an exhaustive list.

Once you find a cover school, generally they will provide you the forms to send to school board and the child's current school to withdraw them.

Just because you must homeschool under a "church school" in Alabama, this does not mean that you have to be religious, or of a specific religion. There are church schools that do not require any statement of faith one way or the other.

Additionally, you will need to look for a church school (cover, umbrella) that is as hands on as you need. The church school I operate under is completely hands off, but others require testing, or quarterly reports, or a required number of actually meetings. It will be up to you to find the one you are comfortable with.

The prices also vary. Some are very expensive, others are less than $70 a school year. It is fairly safe to say that the more hands on you want the cover school to be, the more it will cost you.

I hope this helps to get you started. Once you find a cover school, they will help you through the remainder of the process. Please feel free to ask additional questions! Good luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!