Just getting started
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    TinaP Guest

    Post Just getting started

    Just getting started in the homeschool experience. I have an 11 yr old with a learning disability that is not getting the help she needs in a public school setting. She does well in Language and Science but is Failing in Math. She has a 504 Plan but her teacher doesnt seem to think she needs help. So my Husband and I have decided to Homeschool her. A teacher friend gave me the T4L site and I have registered her. Now what do I as a parent need to do to take her out of the Public school system? Like I said.. I am new to all this and need a little help navagating the system so she doesnt get into trouble.

  2. #2
    MamaToHerRoo's Avatar
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009


    Hi TinaP,
    You will need to find an umbrella or church school that covers homeschoolers. The weird thing is that in Alabama there is not a legal provision to "homeschool". Usually, your home is registered as a satellite campus of a church school. The term "church school"does not necessarily mean you need to make a statement of faith. Check out this HSLDA to site to explain the two options for "homeschooling" in Alabama.
    Usually, your umbrella or church school will tell you what, exactly, you need to do to enroll in their school and be covered to legally educate your daughter at home. This will probably include notifying the state board of education, and the withdrawal from public school.
    I hope this helps. If you have further questions or need more information, feel free to inquire here, and we will do our best to direct you in the right direction.
    Good luck!
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts